Looking at HT setups

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tim_Neil, Jun 17, 2002.

1. tim_Neil

tim_Neil Agent

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm looking at Purchasing my home theatre system in stages. I would like to buy a nice receiver and some towers (Maybe something in the JBL or Polk brand) Then add to this setup with some surrounds, a center channel and a sub. Would this be overkill in a 4-plex (for my neighbors). Another option is to stick with a receiver (Denon??) and get bookshelf speakers, surrounds, a sub and center. What are the pro's and cons of both systems AND does anyone have setups with polk or JbL who can share their opinions. I would like to spend between 1000 and 2000 for the speaker setup (of course a bit more than this if I go with the towers) I almost brought a bose home but when I compared them with polk and JBL they couldn't hold their own. The sub was too quiet (passive) and the midrange wasn't very clear compared to the others. I decided at that time that I would try to piece together a system for the same price that sounded better (size of speaker doesn't matter to me) The price was $2,500 for the Lifestyles 28. Can anyone add their insight... it would help immensly.
  2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Dec 14, 2000
    It sounds like you have come to the consensus decision about Bose--BRAVO!

I have JBL speakers all around:
    S312 mains
    S26 surrounds
    PB12 subwoofer

I live in a one-bedroom apartment, so I don't think its overkill to go with towers. I am not planning on living there forever. You can't go wrong with anything in JBL's Studio line. If you don't have the space and decide to go with S38s or S26s in the front, I think you'll be very happy.

I have a Yamaha HTR5250 receiver that is about 2 years old. It retailed for $500 at the time. For $500 today, you can get a receiver with DPLII and 6.1 or 7.1 processing. Within your stated $2000 budget, you should be able to put together a nice system.
  3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    Agreed, you did the right thing by not buying the BOSE (pronounced BLOWS) system.
    I'd say the first thing is determining how much of the budget you are willing to spend on the receiver vs the speakers. I feel an very good system can be had for $2500 and even at $2k, choices are still very good.
    My personal recommendation is for bookshelf speakers with a good sub. I listen to more music, but a system that does dual duty - both HT and music, is better served by a bookshelf/sub setup, IMO. If you listen to more music, then towers might be better.
    For speakers, the JBL S series is very good. I haven't had a chance to check out the new RTis from Polk, but I was not completely impressed with the previous generation.
    I will also have to recommend Axiom Audio. They have excellent speakers for the price, particularly at their outlet
    For receivers, Denon is a good choice, but you should also listen to Marantz, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon in the $500-$750 range. That should leave you with plenty for the rest of the speakers and a good sub.