What's new

Looking at Hitachi 57S700 (1 Viewer)

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
Any comments on this unit?

Moving into a new home at the end of the month and I have measured that a 57" RPTV will work perfectly in the family room. Upon research, it appears that Hitachi might be the best way to go (especially for the money). Or am I wrong?

Also, is it true that you don't require a built-in HDTV tuner if your HD-Digital capable supplier offers an HD cable box? In other words, would it defeat the purpose to shell out the extra money for the built-in tuner if the cable company is basically setting up the same thing anyway? Or are these HD cable boxes not up to snuff?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I've noticed HD cable usually looks grainier than satellite and OTA HD. That's just my general consensus after seeing them all in my customer's home theaters after I've calibrated their TV. I think it has more to do with the quality of the cable feed than the HD cable box itself.
As for TV's, I think both Sonys and Hitachis are good choices.

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input, Chad!

I'm now also weighing whether to get the 57" Hitachi with the built-in HDTV tuner... or the 65" Hitachi without the tuner. Any suggestions?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If you are going to get your HD content from either a cable company or satellite provider, then you do not NEED an internal HD tuner. That being said, having a built-in tuner gives you the flexibility to use an HD aerial antenna to pick up any local HD broadcasts in your area which would not otherwise be carried by a satellite provider.

-Jason

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of going with HD cable over satellite, because the weather here in the Atlanta area can be volatile at times. My brother has HD satellite and his signal goes out due to weather more often than I would find acceptible. So I'll be going with cable, which will include local channels anyway. Only question is, if my package includes the local network stations should I assume that they will be broadcast with HD capability, or are these sometimes separate channels (ala HBO HD, ESPN HD, etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks