What's new

Looking at a Paradigm setup, any idea if this is a good deal? (1 Viewer)

GabrielT

Auditioning
I have an opportunity to get a pair of studio 100s a pair of studio 20s and the CC all v2 for roughly 1800+shipping. They are used but only about 40-50 hours. I figure the shipping will come in around 200 bucks or so. The total is basically $2000 or thereabouts for the set, is this a pretty good deal? Any thoughts would be much appreciated as I only have a few days to decide. Thanks in advance,

Gabe

As long as the speakers are in good shape, it's a good deal. I bought the same setup used on ebay and paid:
100's for $1300
20's with stands for $400
cc new for $400
Price includes shipping.
I believe I got a good deal considering everything was in perfect working order. My system kicks.
You may already know this but your going to need some serious power to run those 100's, and I'm not talking 100wx2. When I first got my 100's, I was running them with an onkyo tx-dx787 (rated 100w x 2) the speakers sounded good but the amp would go into protect at higher volumes. I now run them with an adcom gfa-5500 (200 x 2) and man do these speakers shine. By the way I got the adcom for $400 bucks on e-bay so I would not let this deal go bye.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't think you could do much better anywhere. New retail is about $3k on that setup and you shouldn't be able to find it much more than 20% off. That means you'd be looking at $2600 + tax as what I would consider a good fair price for new. If they are in excellent-new condition getting them for $2k shipped would be easily worth it.

Things to look out for...

Warranty may not be transferable and therefore VOID.
Shipping could easily be more for that much weight.
What happens if they are scratched or otherwise not in near new condition?
Are they veneer or laminate?
Veneer is considerably more expensive and would be a huge plus.

GabrielT

Auditioning
Thanks for the input guys, I am rather new to high end audio equipment, but I am certain of the necessity for a good home theater system. Incidently, what would you recommend to power this system. I was looking at a marantz 7300ose reciever. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GabrielT

Auditioning
Also been looking at the Onix Rocket system. Seems like they have some really good package deals. How do the higher end rockets compare with the paradigm studio 100's and once again what kind of equipment will I need to power these speakers. I know very little about recievers. amps. preamps etc. Going to do some more research into this, any assistance would be much appreciated.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Gabriel,

It is a matter of tastes. The Paradigms and Rockets do not sound the same. Try to get a listen to both.

Gabriel, the power you are going to need will depend on how you like to listen to your music/ht. I believe that the more CLEAN power the better. For instance, most of your a/v receivers you see at best buy, circuit city, etc. have power specs. such as 100w x 5 at 8 ohms +/- 3 dbs. The studio 100's are a 6 ohm speaker which is an average meaning they can dip into 4 or even 3 ohms at times. Most a/v receivers will not give you power specs. at 4 ohms (watch out for specs. stating max. power at 4 ohms) you want power ratings stated as rms.
I'm not saying that a sony, kenwood, or even onkyo's
100w x 2 will not run those speakers. I'm saying that you will probably go searching for more power so make sure the a/v receiver you buy now at least has 100+ watts and pre-outs so you can add a dedicated amp to your system later. Buy the way I run my 100's with 200w @ 8ohms amp and now wish I had 250 or even 300w. I say this because they love power and the bass is sweeter even at lower volumes. Good luck with your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks