looking at a new RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Last week I made the big mistake of stopping by Best Buy and looking at the new 16x9 HDTV RPTV's. I must say the advancements of RPTV's over the last few years is stunning. Even better the prices are right.

I currently have a Sony 46" RPTV set I bought 7 years ago. It was the bottom of the barrel Sony back then. Paid $1,999 for it. About the most advanced feature it has is a digital comb filter. It also has some kind of computer controlled brightness feature for even brightness all over the screen. Something Sony was doing back then that nobody else was doing and it looked really good. Being 7 years old it is not as bright and the focus is not as sharp. Other then that though it has never had any problems. Even the convergence is even. I usually only watch a few movies a week on it and the occasional sporting event. Even though it is 7 years old it probably only has about 4,000 hours on it.

Even though it still works fine I think it is time to upgrade. I feel like I am missing something when I watch my movies now. Also when watching a 2.35 scope movie nearly 50% of the TV is black bands. If you enjoy widescreen movies 16x9 is the way to go. The TV's have never looked better and bigger and this affordable....Why fight it?

A few obsticles remain like what to do with my old RPTV? I thought about giving it away to my sister if she could figure out how to get it home. She told me she wanted it but is lost on how to get it home.

If it comes down to it I will advertise it here at try to find a local home theater user who might want it. All you would have to do is come up with a way to get it out of my house. I would let it go for a few hundred dollars. It has served its purpose well. When I upgrade I will want it gone. If anyone else has any ideas on how to dispose of a perfectly good RPTV please share. I am sure others have had the same problems.

My budget is about $2,500 but that is stretching it. Looking for a 55" model.

I like the Mitsubishi WS-A55 at $2,399. At Magnolia High Fi they have last years model for $2,199

Another set I really liked was the Samsung HCM 5525W. It was cheap at $2,199 and after playing with the settings for a half hour I thought it had the best picture. Nice and soft and not hard on the eyes.

The Sony 51" KP-51HW40 looked really nice at $2,299 but you sure can tell the loss of 4". Also Sony will not be considered because of personal reasons..its a long long story.

Right now I am leaning towards the Samsung. Its hard because they are all way better then what I got.

I found one online for $1,699 plus $299 shipping. This is $200 cheaper and I don't have to pay sales tax on top of that. Never bought a big screen TV over the internet though. I will probably buy locally and pay extra.

If anyone has suggestions on brands please let me know.

Chris

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Whatever you do, I'd strongly recommend you buy locally from a store with a 30 day return/exchange period. It's virtually impossible to get more than a very rough idea of picture quality in the stores. You pretty much have to live with it in your home for a week or so to realy decide if it's for you.

As for the old set, one can rent a pickup truck from Enterprise for $39 a day.

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I recommend against the Bset Buy mitsubishi models and going for a Sears one (which is mitsubishi's regulra line). the Best buy mitsubishi's are a special brand only for best buy, Okay you get the story.

go to hometheaterspot.com and do a search in the mitsubishi forum.

Anywyas in your price range I offer:
    Toshiba 57H82->57HDX82 $2250-2600
    Sony 57WS500 $2500
    Hitachi 51SWX20B->57" $2200-2700
    Mitsubishi 55" 311-411 $2400-2700
    Pioneer SD533HD (53") $2250

Cheaper sets:
    Samsung
    Panasonic 53WX42 (53") $1700-1800

-ELmO

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Last night I found a new owner for my old TV. A person I work with has a 40" set from the late 80's that is on its last legs. She is willing to wait a few weeks for me to get the new TV. Right now I am waiting for one of the retailers have big sale or a free giveaway like a DVD player. At Best Buy this week the Samsung was not even on sale. The salesman at Best Buy said these usually go on sale and it would be as much as 10% cheaper. Since we are heading into Christmas it might be a long wait [​IMG]
    I have a question and I think I know the answer..LOL ?
    I have been getting some flack from my girl friend and even my father about upgrading my 7 year old TV with a new one. They think I am being crazy replacing my old TV with a new one because they don't understand the newest advancements. If this was the 80's when advances were slow I would agree. But we have jumped 20 years in 5 years with HDTV, widescreen and video processing technology I bet alot of people are replacing perfectly good TV's. I figure when I get it home they will understand when they see that big clear widescreen picture.
    Chris

5. elMalloc

What was the question again? lol
    my parents aren't really trusting me on the widesreen..but I watched them watch oceans 11 on their 10 year old 25" zenith tv from 13 feet away yesterday. Widescreen cut picture size in half, colors red tinted. I don't know what they're going to say when they go from that 22" widescreen image to 55" (with surround sound). I guess that DTS logo will prove this.
    Just be able to prove it. Use component cables (surround sound if you have it) and monsters inc. That should do it...
    The Samsung is good for a price, if you want a better set you're going to have to pay a little more.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

6. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

My dad is pretty good. He is willing to spend the money on good stuff but being old fashioned he still believes that you should keep it until it dies. He has a Sony 52" XBR set that is a year older then mine. This TV is still holding up amazingly well. Much better then my S series.
    Before that he had a 1985 vintage Mitsubishi 45" RPTV. Before he decided to replace it the picture was totally out of focus and very dark. The convergence was off 1/2 inches on each side. 2 out of the 3 guns had been rebuilt because they burned out. In a 1 year period he must have spent $1,000 repairing it.
    When all this was going on my mom was getting sick of it. We have been secretly looking at new TV's. We finely talked him into replacing his old Mitsubishi.
    I will never forget the day it was delivered. When dad came home from work all he would do is complain about how much money he had just spent. As we walked him downstairs and fired it up for the first time he had an amazing look on his face. All he could say is how sharp the picture was and how much bigger it looked. He also liked how much more compact this TV was compared to his old one. He liked how he was able to reclaim some of the square footage...those old RPTV's were tanks. Never again did he complain about spending $4,000.
    I guess you can say my dad is hard to convince but easy to sell if that makes any since. [​IMG]
    Even though I am 29 and have my own house. Doing fairly well at work dad will still treat me like a kid and complain when I spend my own money.... But when I get that new 55" 16x9 set he will never question it again.
    The old Mitsubishi was donated to my brother. It survived the travel to his place but died about 2 months later. He did not have it repaired but stripped the insides and used the wood cabinet for his pet Iguana.
    Chris

7. elMalloc

LOL!! IGUANA!! Great story.[​IMG]