Looking at a new receiver purchase in the next year. What's coming?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianShort, Jan 8, 2006.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I've decided it's time to start researching new receivers for my HT system. I'm currently using a 6 1/2 year old Kenwood VR-309 that came with a HTIB system. It's actually the only piece of hardware I have left from my original HT setup, as I've since upgraded the speakers, then the sub, then the TV and DVD player.

The Denon 3806 looks like a really nice setup, and I especially like it because it has HDMI and Component switching, which is a feature I think I'll need when I finally get a BD Plyer, as I also want to have my computer hooked to my TV via HDMI, and the TV only has one input. But $1000 - $1200 is really more than I want to spend. $500 is more reasonable.

I also want something that will take advantage of the audio offered by the new formats. Any word on when we'll start seeing receivers that support the new formats?

Brian

2. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

I recently upgraded from a 2 yr old Denon 1803 to the new 3806 for several reasons.

Basically I wouldnt buy a cheaper receiver again (unless I was really strapped for cash) for several reasons:

Firstly, I maxed out the component inputs within about 3 months of buying the 1803, meaning I then had to start using the Tv component inputs, thus meaning I had to fool around switching tv inputs etc whenever I wanted to change devices.
    I ended up with 3 or 4 remotes laying around on the coffee table.

Secondly, the higher end receiver came with HDMI switching (and as such is somewhat future-proof) if translates component inputs to HDMI (meaning I get to utilize my TVs DVI input .. finally) and only a single cable to my TV.

Also - the 3806 comes with Audyssey MultiEQ (yay!) which sets up the speakers a hell of alot better than I could ever hope to!

Finally the 3806 came with a much better quality remote which means I end up with just that one plus the cable box remote to juggle.
    A small thing I guess, but to me, reasonably important.

I agree $1200 is a fair amount to spend on a receiver but if your serious about ending up with a quality system , this is the heart and as such deserves to be quality.

Finally, I'm not saying the cheaper receivers are bad (I was more than happy with my 1803 until the 3806 came out) but if you watch alot of HDTV or movies .. or play Xbox/PS2 then honestly it would be wise to try and buy the best receiver you can afford.

3. BrianShort

I was looking at the 3806 at Crutchfield, and did notice the remote it came with looked VERY nice. I assume it's a fully programable memory remote? Is the screen on that a touchscreen?

If nothing similar comes out at a lesser price point, I might just pick the 3806 up sometime this summer. Of course, then I'll have to get new speakers to take advantage... [​IMG] I have some lower end Polk's right now (RT35i's or something like that for the mains, with matching center and surrounds), and a Klipsch KSW-12 sub. I would love an SVS, but won't get one until I have a house.

Brian

4. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I just got a Denon AVR-4306 from a local dealer for $1599, it has a new remote but uses the same technology as the one the 3806 comes with. It's not a real touch screen, but LED's light up graphics that apply to the mode you select. So each button can be one of a few different selections. It has a flexible plastic cover you press on to push the button below the plastic cover. The remote is ok, but I got an deal ($149)on the Logitech harmony 880 universal remote and it's doing a nice job for me. It was very easy to get 90% the way I wanted, but the last 10% was a real pain, but at least it was able to do it. I wish the Harmony had a programming interface like the pronto you could use to tailor what the web setup creates.

You may not like the feel of the higher end Denon receiver remotes; the feel of the buttons could definitely be improved. They take some attention to press the button you are shooting for and big fingers will make it harder. Still I am quite happy with the receiver and would recommend Denon as one to consider.

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Brian,

Panasonic says their new XR57 receiver with HDMI switching will be out in June - probably earlier street date

[​IMG]

6. BrianShort

Are Panasonics well thought of when it comes to receivers? Looks pretty good, but I'd want something in black. [​IMG]

7. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

their current model XR55 comes in silver and black (probably more liked as well, since Amazon seems to have run out of black) so I suppose it's not a stretch to think the XR57 model will come in those two colors as well.

traditionally, Yamaha, Denon, HK, Marantz, Pioneer and Onkyo are most commonly mentioned when recommending receivers. In the last few years however, Panasonic have introduced the XR series using TI PurePath/Equibit digital amplification - the same technology used in the awesome TacT Millennium amplifier.

Panasonic receivers are cheaper, but sound as good as receivers costing maybe 3 times as much. In fact some people find it good enough to use as their main stereo amplifier for pure 2-channel listening, comparable to dedicated stereo amplifiers.

It's a cheap experiment - if you can get a local/online seller to do a 30-day return - to try one at home. As long as your speakers aren't particularly difficult to drive, it could be a great find.