What's new

Looking at 36" direct-view (1 Viewer)

Jason Lindahl

Auditioning
I am a newbie starting from scratch. I literally have no equipment at all. (I've been mooching off roommates but now they're gone.) I've been reading posts here for the past week or so and think I know what I want...

I've picked out the Panasonic RP82 based on recommendations I've read here.

I'm looking for a 36" direct view TV (most appropriate for my room size). I watch mostly movies, and play quite a bit of video games. I watch only 1-5 tv shows per week. I like the 36" size because in 16:9 mode it will still have a 33" diagonal picture (if my math is right). That's close to many wide screens in production (34") but cheaper. I'm looking to spend around $2000.

I'm would like an HD ready TV with 16:9 mode. Flat screen is not essential but would be nice. I will be ordering it from a wholesale club that I belong to, so I am limited to the brands listed below. Here are the one's I've found with the features I'm looking for. I don't know if these are the latest model numbers. Any other suggestions or recommendations? Which one should I buy? Thanks!

Sony - 36XBR450
Sony - 36HS500 - what's the difference between this and XBR?
Toshiba - 36HF71
Panasonic - CT36HX41 - have seen a few bad posts on this
JVC - 36P902
Hitachi - 36UDX10S

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I would probably buy the sony XBR. But I really think the Hitachi you have listed has a better picture. I just like the XBR flat screen.

Mike_Stuewe

Stunt Coordinator
Crutchfield.com has the xbr800 for $2299 I believe with free in home delivery. Might want to check that out.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
My advice is to (unfortunately) avoid the Toshiba if you play video games, I am currently workign to get a problem with my 36HFX71 resolved it only happens when playing video games (PS2) so unless this turns out to be a problem that Toshiba can easily fix id stay away. I would personally recommend the Panasonic Tau or the XBR if you can afford it. but again if the gaming problem is fixed by toshiba then it is definitely the best tv for the money. i know i got mine for about 1000 less than i could ahve gotten an XBR (canadian dollars) and aside from ym gaming problem i love it and I think the cable picture is better, and dvd picture is just as good.

Jason Lindahl

Auditioning
I read the thread about the Toshiba; that sounds pretty scary. I'm pricing the TV's tonight. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks.

Larry F.

Agent
IF you have a Sam's nearby check out the JVC 36260. Very similar to the one you've looked at and priced at $699 I believe. Has Dual Tuner PIP, can do squeeze (through serv. mode) etc. I got the 32" version of this and am quite happy with it.

Thomas_P

Agent
I would strongly reccomend the JVC. I was very close to buying it before I decided to go projection. The picture looks great, Auto 16:9, DVI/HDCP, and can probably be found for around 1,800$

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I just bought a Toshiba 36A41 for $699 for my family's beach home, and I think it's a great monitor for the money, but if I wanted to spend $2000 on a 36" I would go for the Sony XBR.

I vote for the Sony XBR. I got an XBR400 about a year and a half ago, absolutely love it. The picture is absolutely amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks