What's new

Looking at 36" CRTs, need advice (HD newbie) (1 Viewer)

After lurking around here for several weeks now in my unstoppable quest for an HDTV, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. I want 4:3. We watch a lot of 'conventional' programming and I play video games, which overwhelmingly favor 4:3 at the current time.

2. I can only get a 36" with the speakers located at the bottom of the screen (as opposed to the sides). This is due to the limitations of my entertainment center (heh - it's the tradeoff to get a new TV)

3. I must have 720p (or at least an up-convert from 720p to 1080i!!!)

Now for my questions -

1. Are there any 36" CRTs that will display 720p? I have found the Princeton Graphics TV/Monitor but at ~$3,000 they are a little more expensive that what I had intended to spend. After all, I will need a new satellite receiver and a subscription to DiscoveryHD to complement this. lol

2. Is Princeton Graphics a premium brand? Can any of you comment on the performance of their TV's? Would I be better off buying a TV from Best Buy or the like?

3. I have (or will have) several HD sources that will require component video-in. My receiver will do component video switching but the rumor has it that the bandwidth through these component ports isn't rated for anything higher than 480p. Therefore I'll need some type of 'switch box' to support my DVD, Sat. receiver, Gamecube, and Xbox. Do traditional HD receivers offer any type of component switching or am I stuck with a switch box? Either way, can any of you offer a recommendation?

4. As I mentioned before, I need 720p, or at least a 720p input that can be converted to 1080i. I know that some TVs will do this, but is there a receiver or some type of line doubler that would plug in externally to do the same thing?

Thanks so much for your help gang. This site rocks!!!

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
To the best of my knowledge, NO 36" direct view supports native 720P. Most models downconvert it to 480P. However, Sony's new HS500 and XBR models upconvert it to 1080i. I certainly appreciate your dilemma -- I'm in the exact situation myself.

I have since found the AR 3.6T for about $2,250 at pcnation.com.

Can anybody comment on the Princeton Graphics sets? I have found a few reviews around on the net and most of them are 'good' but not so good that it would justify spending $750 or $1000 more than your average Best Buy HDTV.

Dan Ponze

Stunt Coordinator
I say just pick up a Sony XBR or Panasonic HD set. You'll be very pleased with the 720P signals even if they do convert it to 1080i.

I'd love to have one of those XBR's, but unfortunately they have the speakers side-mounted so it's too wide to fit in my entertainment center. The same goes for the Panasonic CT-36HL42. :frowning:
However, the Panasonic CT-36HX42 will fit. Have any of you had any experience with this model? Will it convert 720p to 1080i or will I need an external box for that?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I believe the toshiba's arent as wide as the sony or panny even though the speakers are side mount. not sure about the 720p issue though. but hey i love my toshiba :)

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
Beware that the Panasonic CT-36HX42 will not do the squeeze on anamorphic DVDs, a feature that I would consider quite important on a 4:3 HD set.

I don't know if it will convert 720p to 1080i, but the previous model, the CT-36HX41 does not. IIRC, the Panasonic website has all of the manuals available, you may be able to dig up the information there.

Thtat is an important feature and disqualifies that model.....you know this is really a pretty daunting process.
Back to the Princeton Graphics sets - has anybody used them/seen them in person to comment on their performance? Any Princeton Graphics gurus out there?

Vin

Supporting Actor
I'd love to have one of those XBR's, but unfortunately they have the speakers side-mounted so it's too wide to fit in my entertainment center. The same goes for the Panasonic CT-36HL42.
Allowing your entertainment center to dictate (and limit) your selection is a mistake IMHO. I would seriously consider making changes (eliminating/replacing your current entertainment center) before compromising on this purchase.
Just my $0.02 worth....
Good luck, whatever you decide! :)
Vin

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Vin is right, your what 200 dollar entertainment center dictates what tv you buy for around 3000???????

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
John,
Somehow I don't think Matt is talking about a $200 TV stand. :) Personally, I set my audio equipment on an old trunk, but lots of people spend thousands on fancy woodwork.
Still, Matt, are you sure your entertainment center isn't adjustable in some way? Unless it's carved out of a solid chunk of old growth redwood, it's probably modular to some extent and a carpenter could adjust it. Just a thought.
Jan

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hmmmm I never thought of that, most of the furniture like that in my house was built by my dad, he is the really handy type.... come to think of it he built the house too..... guess that puts a different price perspective on things.

LOL

Actually the $3800 solid mahogony entertainment center is going to tip the scales at almost twice what I'm willing to give for a TV! I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to widen it at all without completely screwing the thing up. No big deal, though, the Princeton 3.6 HD at about $2500 will fit just fine.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks