What's new

Lookin' like GTA3 for Xbox is Xtinct... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that what he meant was that he's against console exclusives being bought by the console manufacturer, like Halo and Half-Life. If this is what was meant, then I agree. I would rather have a title be exclusive to a console because its made by a first or second party developer or because the developer wants it there than because it was bought by the console maker. But if the exclusivity was bought, I'll just have to accept it.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
dave,believe me i am not a big fan of m$.mac user through and through.and a big fan of bungie games on mac and totally freaked when m$ bought them....so life goes on and m$ happens to put out an excellant product(xbox) and i bought one.so seeing if it wasn't for halo they'd be in real doo-doo and with everyone clamouring for gta3,well...buy the bastards already.nothing new for them or the industry.

hwshi

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Okay, screw it...I'm going to make my "official", on the record guess: no GTA3 for Xbox, period.
Instead, we'll see GTA4.
If I'm wrong, everyone can point fingers at me and throw their old rotten food at my face. :laugh:

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Summed up by what Morgan said.

It's not that console exclusives are always a bad thing it's just that it's becoming all too frequent. As I said, if I had all the time in the world, I'd own all three systems. However, I don't. I've got a PS2 and I'm considering buying a cube or xbox(leaning towards the cube at this point). If the makers of the GTA series wish to make the game for the XBox, they will. I just don't want to see GTA on the XBox coming instead of a future GTA on the PS2. In any case, I'm sure this will become a moot point in the future(atleast regarding GTA). If XBox sales numbers begin to pickup, the XBox will have strong enough numbers to make it worthwhile to bring GTA to it. I think the key was that sales in the first few months weren't all that hot and perhaps Take Two/Rockstar decided it wouldn't be worthwhile at the time. I'd bet that we'll see the future GTA titles on the PC, PS2, and XBox.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
My thoughts is that when people didn't release games for my Dreamcast I was kind of sad that people didn't give the DC a chance. I mean Sega was the underdog, and I love rooting for the underdog. The thing here is, Microsoft is only the underdog because people don't expect them to succeed. They are an underdog with bigger fangs than the rest of the guys, and if Microsoft wants to buy up companies so that Sony can't have access to their games? They FUCK YOU SONY, this is what you get for trying to muscle Sega out of the Console market. What Sony fails to recognize is that Micosoft is a BEHEMOTH on the Server/Workstation market and the main consumer in the chip and board world is the Server/Workstation market, not the Console Market. Now what follows would be illegal, but it could/would happen:

Microsoft could tell the Server and Workstation manufacturers not to buy from certain companies that decided to play nice with Sony on the PS4.

I can guarantee you that the Japanese have NO idea how nasty and cut throat dealing with Microsoft can be (After all there are about zero Japanese business software companies, and GUARANTEED zero Japanese server software companies).

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Larry,
first I think we can refrain from profanity. Let's try and keep this discussion from turning into a kiddie type flame war ;)
Second, what you propose is in fact illegal. Microsoft was getting hounded by the government for doing something similar(basically saying that if they didn't include MSN and certain other windows components, they would be charged more for their license for the software). Anyhow, you make a valid point. MS is the underdog in the console market. At the same time, you blame Sony for the failure of the Dreamcast? I think that is part of it but you're neglecting to realize the financial situation Sega was in from having past consoles fail. while the dominance of the PS2 may have been the proverbial nail in the coffin, some would argue the grave was already dug. Anyhow, we're getting way off topic now. As I said in my first post, I'd like to see GTA on the XBox but not at the expense of other consoles. If we can have it on both, that would be perfect.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I love it when people come up with so many reason why Rockstar are "screwing over" XBox owners. Everyone forgetting the exclusivity deal they signed with Sony around this time /last/ year. Nowt to do with sales.

And to say Sony have no clue about dealing with Microsoft. Pullease. Sony have been in the PC business for years - they know full well how Microsoft can operate when they want to. Allegedly.

If I was a XBox owner "expecting" GTA4 on my machine, I'd be looking very closely at the Eidos/Sony Tomb Raider deal. I haven't heard anything from people at Rockstar Studios, I don't have any sort of insider information. This is purely my gut feeling on the basis of the already announced exclusivity deal & the fact that the Playstation has been *damned* good for GTA3 - how many million sales of GTA3 now? How many PS2s were sold by it? ...

Well BrianB, I do feel screwed over when they won't give a straight answer one way or another and leave me twisting in the friggin' wind. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it sure as hell does me.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
After many a post from myself on the worries of GTA3 to my XBOX, I feel assurred that by the end of week I'll know.

I can't wait to see what bombshells Microsoft is going to unleash at E3!

I just hope I don't have to wait till Christmas for a GTA for my XBOX.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I think its highly unlikely (well, actually, I don't think its happening at all) that a GTA game will make it to the X-Box this year. Frankly, Rockstar don't need it. Its time and effort that would be better spent on a new one for the PS2, where the sales figures show they have a license to print money.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I think its highly unlikely (well, actually, I don't think its happening at all) that a GTA game will make it to the X-Box this year. Frankly, Rockstar don't need it. Its time and effort that would be better spent on a new one for the PS2, where the sales figures show they have a license to print money.
Well, the PC version exists so it's not very difficult to port it over and make a decent profit satisfying many Xbox owners. We will find out this week whether or not it's coming.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I agree with Iain. There are many developers who can't or don't want to afford putting a game out for the Xbox. It's just not worth it when they have 30 million PS2 users to feast on, regardless of what Sony or Microsoft try to wave in their faces.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
There are advantages for developers to put products on the Xbox and Gamecube. Despite the user base of 30 million, with the large selection of PS2 games sometimes gems can be missed in the shuffle. With a smaller library, games like Super Monkey Ball that might have been overlooked on the PS2 are hits. Not to mention that the Xbox and Cube are easier to develop for than the PS2 and have greater hardware capabilities.
As for GTA3 on the Xbox, it's a proven franchise on the PS2 so it doesn't really apply. All I really see in this thread is a lot of wishful thinking, and not a lot of facts.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
NickSo, I have HalfLife for Dreamcast. Not at liberty to say here. AIM: BertFalasco
I might buy an XBOX soon but my TV has no S-Video or Component Video Outs. :frowning:
-Bert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its also worth remembering that many of those X-Box and Gamecube owners are in amongst the 30 million PS2 owners. Sure, they would love to have a better looking version of the game if their other console can do that, but the less than great sales of the likes of Tony Hawks 3 and Crazy Taxi on Cube (from what I've seen; correct me if I'm wrong) suggest to me that if you want to ensure good sales on these systems, a straight port of a game many of your possible consumers have already bought isn't going to sell as well as an exclusive title.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Yup, the next GTA is gonna be PS2-exclusive, so if you've been holding out and waiting for the Xbox version, it's time to slap $199 down on a PS2.

NEW YORK, May 21, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (TTWO) , proudly announces Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the follow-up to the global blockbuster title Grand Theft Auto 3.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the latest installment in the gaming franchise that has exceeded 11 million units in total sales to-date. It will be available exclusively for PlayStation(R)2 and is expected to hit retail shelves in the United States on October 22nd.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City will surpass the unprecedented gameplay, cinematic graphics and immersive audio experience that gamers associate with Grand Theft Auto 3, which was released in October 2001 and has rapidly become the fastest selling, highest grossing game for PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system to-date, with global sales exceeding 6 million units. Rockstar Games will release additional information about the game's content in July, but the following details are clear: It's an entirely new game set in the '80s, the location is Vice City, and the vibe is glamour, power and corruption...

Sam Houser, the executive producer of the Grand Theft Auto franchise and president of Rockstar Games, commented, "The success of Grand Theft Auto 3 has made us very proud, but it has also motivated us enormously. The work currently being done by our development and production teams in Edinburgh and New York is going to surpass the efforts of last year, as we set our sights on making an even more revolutionary gaming experience. This will be reflected in the size of the game, the scope of the gameplay, the extent of the gameplayer's freedom, the quality of production value and the all-important sense of style."

Les Benzies, the producer of Grand Theft Auto games, noted, "Although it may appear to be a challenge to develop a game superior to Grand Theft Auto 3, our progress to date on Vice City makes me highly confident that we can deliver a truly innovative game."

Kelly Sumner, Take-Two Interactive Software's Chief Executive Officer added, "Grand Theft Auto 3 has become the "must-have" title for PlayStation(R)2 and is appropriately regarded as a landmark in interactive entertainment. We are delighted with the plans for Vice City, and are totally committed to supporting Rockstar's creative efforts and investing in the development and marketing approach that made Grand Theft Auto 3 such a tremendous success."

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Good move on Sony's part. As the article states, GTA3 seems to be becoming the franchise game on the PS2. Oh well, I would have liked an Xbox version but I guess you can't have everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks