Lookin into building my own sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan T, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I orgionally planed on getting a 20-39 PCI but I'm lookin to building a sub. Would it be possible to build on that can preform better (Louder, not distorted though, and just as if not more clean) for 1000 or less? I'm assuming it's pretty much the same process as building a pair of speakers. I have a plunge router and a circular saw. I can go a little higher as I'm gonna build my speakers myself.

2. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I recently built my first DIY sub and it sounds great! Total price will be about $500 Canadian. It is a 192L ported Tempest. From what I hear on the forum it it easier to build a sub than full range speakers(more drivers, crossovers involved etc...), so if you could build some speakers I'm sure a sub would be no trouble.

You could build a Tempest sub like so many people here have done. Or if you want to spend more you could get a Tumult. I"m not sure about the price of building a Tumult though because you will need a very powerful amp(a 250 watt will not do).

I think I Tempest is a great choice unless you cannot deal with a large enclosure. In that case you could go with a Shiva(smaller and cheaper than a Tempest) or a Tumult(more expensive).

I'm sure if you told us what type of sub you want; large-small, HT or music oriented, etc... the many experts on this forum could help you out.

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Well, I want a sub that can push some high SPLs and stay clean. I will mostly be listening to music (though I'm a bass head) and as I add more speakers, some DVDs.

Will a 700 watt amp do for the tumult? There's one for 500 on acoustic-visions.com.

4. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

Look into a Car Audio Driver. I was at Image dynamics the other day and they had a 12" IDmax sub in a 2 cubed box and it went lower and louder than most Home subs I have heard. Thaty thing POUNDED and went low. Very musicle too.
    http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/webs...cts/IDMAX.html

5. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I've heard from many people that car drivers shouldn't be used in home audio. Their designed to play on (no pun indended) the huge gain a car cabin gives low frequency sound.

6. Justin Ward

How big of an enclosure can you deal with? Is 24" x 24" x 30" too large? That is how large my Tempest box is, and it was the smallest ported design.

7. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

I agree with you on not using car drivers, But this is an exception. A totally unreal driver. I'd like to see something else come close to it in output and soundq.

8. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I can build any size as It's going in my room, my parents don't care what size it is. Just as long as I can put it together.

As for that other driver, it's 5 db more sensative than the tumult, that's probably why it's so good. And it can handle more power too.

9. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

How much is that ID driver?

10. Justin Ward

My sub is in my bedroom as well. It was quite large and we had to take a door off its hinges to get it there[​IMG]
    It sounds great since my room isn't huge, In a bedroom a Tempest would be more than enough. You can go the Adire Audio and check out their designs for a Tempest sub.

11. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Hey, who said I didn't want to break some windows???? You can never have enough bass.

12. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

The IDMAX is $300.

I don't know how well it would fair in a Home Audio environment. They are only available in 10" and 12" IIRC.

Doubt it can touch the displacement of the Tumult.

13. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I don't have money to play with so I guess a driver designed for home audio would be best

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If the IDMax is $300, a Tempest will easily out gun it and is half the cost. The Tumult is designed for a different purpose than the IDmax or Tempest and will have more than 3 times the Vd of the IDmax and twice what a Tempest has.

You have to understand the Tumult was designed to work in small sealed enclosures with the trade off being a reduction in sensitivity. There is also no way the IDmax will be able to handle more power than the Tumult. The Tumult is designed to outgun a Velodyne HGS18 in a smaller box while maintaining really low distortion when feed up around 1.5kilowatts.

15. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Site says it has a sensativety of 93 dbs and can handle 1.8 kilowatts.

Anyway, I would want to build a sub that is tight, for music, but can play loud, around 115 db spl, and DEEP, like 20 hz. What would you recomend for that? Sealed, ported?? What driver?? How many liters??

16. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

thoes new av15 look prety cool they are about the same price as the tempest and have a little more output than a tempest and look cooler too i am waiting for mine to arive i might even put 1 in my car and replave my kicker xpl

17. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ok, well, just just opinion there, I would like some numbers or something to back up your choice. Or maybe someone who really knows what their talking aobut (expert).

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

They are fibbing just a bit on that IDmax. Real SPL at 1w/1m will be more like 88.5. (http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/spl.htm)
    The IDmax is also 1000W RMS and 1800W peak. The Tumult is 1600W RMS and 3600W peak. The Tumult will be a conservative rating, the IDmax won't be quite as conservative.
    Depending at what frequency you want that 115dB, that will be difficult to achieve. You want it at 20hz, you'll need to up your budget some. You want it at over 30hz should be doable.
    I'd be looking at the Tempest, or Stryke AV15. Tumult is out of your price range, and the IDMax is too much money in comparison to the AV15 or Tempest. I think you'll be happiest with a near EBS allignment with either of the above drivers. Tempest will only need about 250W (the HS200 will do fine as well, and work great with the 2ch system you are thinking about). The Stryke should have around 500W though. The box size for a near EBS on the Stryke will also necessitate the use of passive radiators while the Tempest can be done with a 6" PVC port (which will be much cheaper; suppose flares for 6" pvc pipe would allow porting a AV15, and $50 for a set of flares is cheaper than the $200+ for a pair PRs). The Styke will have the potential to go louder, but the Tempest is no slouch, as properly built you can expect performance on par with an SVS Ultra.

19. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

That 115db SPL is over 30, more around 40hz. As for the tumult, why is it out of my price range, what's needed to build a sub with it. Just wondering. ALso, I want to use this sub for HT as well as music.

20. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Also, would at 700 watt peak amp be enough for a tumult?