Lookin for a new Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeff-Z, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Jeff-Z

Jeff-Z Auditioning

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting myself an early Christmas gift!! I have a set of Paradigm monitor 11's and the CC-370 with a Denon 2803, love the set up. Now looking to fill it in with a sub, i had a listen to the Paradigm PW-2200 and was very impressed!! Does anyone have any feedback on this particular sub??

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

My particular feedback is as follows: Just say 'no'

My solution is to 1) figure out how much money you can allocate to a sub; 2) go to www.svsubwoofers.com and pick a sub that falls within your price range; 3) email SVS and check with Tom and Ron about whether said sub would be appropriate for your room and gear; 4) order the sub; 5) live happily ever after

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

AlanZ's post sounds like a plan to me. The "amazed" vs. "disappointed" posts for SVS run 1000 to 1.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I really like the PW-2200 too, but for the same price, you will get a much better performing SVS, or get the same perofrmance for a little less.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

No doubt.. call Ron at SVS.. Tell him about your gear and room and he will get you into the perfect sub for you!
    They are a great bunch of very nice and honest folks there.
    I can't imagine a system w/o and SVS for performance and looks for the money. These guys only do one thing and thats subs which they do right.

6. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

Dont dismiss HSU either. Hsuresearch.com. There are many comparisons between the 2, you really cant go go wrong either way.

7. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Jeff

I have a PW-2200 and I love it. It is musical and it will go deep (20 Hz) and loud enough for HT. SVS is very good also but if you look at the list of sponsors of this site you will understand wy so many posts are pushing that brand [​IMG]

Shop around

8. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I've had an M&K sub for about 7 years. M&K plays tight and clean, loud and low. Mine goes to about 18 Hz which only the front door can hear but you can surely feel in your chest.

I recently had to sent it back for some "repair" ... it was long out of warranty but they took care of it at no charge.

It is a classy company with a great product. Not cheap. But you get what you pay for ....

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

I don't see how their sponsorship of this forum has anything in the least to do with the fact that SVS has quality products. [​IMG] It's not like they solicit all that positive feedback... Quality speaks for itself.

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I'm going to echo John's comments about the sponsorship issue.....I do not get paid one cent for endorsing SVS, yet I'll bring them up any opportunity I get. I do that because from the first minute - literally - that I had an SVS in my home (SVS PCi25-31) I was floored by it. I have since gone on to realize that this company not only represents one of the great values in audio (THE great value when it comes to subwoofers, in my opinion), but the founders (Tom and Ron) go way, way, way out of their way to make sure they not only have the best product at any given price point, but also to make sure every single customer is satisfied. It's not their fault that the vast majority of us aren't just "satisfied", but damn near giddy about their product. Well, actually it is their fault, but I digress....An SVS products is as close to a sure bet as you'll find in audio.

Jeff-Z, if an SVS is within your price range, I'd encourage you to take advantage of the in-home trial that SVS offers. If you don't like it, send it back bro. But don't think for one minute that any of the thousands of satisfied SVS customers are bragging about their subs for any reason other than the fact that they love them to death.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I will answer the obligatory "SVS is a sponsor, there's something fishy here" post by repeating what I said the last time this was brought up - If my support for SVS is somehow tied to the advertising on this site (that I pay no money for), where's my friggin' check?! Yo, Tom and Ron, I want my check now!![​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

It has nothing to do with "SVS sponsoring this site".

First of all, I dont get paid by SVS. Secondly, HTF doesnt pay me either.

So..... all the recommendations (including mine) are almost always because of first hand experience and satisfaction.

13. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

14. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Disclaimer: I have an open bias toward SVS.

This is not the first time Robert has called into question the integrity of this forum and its members with regard to SVS being a sponsor:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...00#post2394300

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...32#post2236032

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...91#post2199591

He has also stated people support SVS because it is the “in” thing to do, and/or have little to no experience with other fine subwoofers. I think a valid question is “What experience does Robert have with SVS subwoofers?”

If you follow Robert’s logic, recommendations and/or personal endorsements of movies, music, products, and services from the following companies by forum members have dubious intentions (list developed from a scan of the HTF home page):

SVS
    Fox
    Apple
    Sony
    Miramax
    Axiom
    AudioReview.com
    Audioholics
    The Laser’s Edge
    TVAuthority.com
    HomeTheaterBuilder.com
    Acousticsounddesign.com
    Carada
    Verizon
    Theaudioinsider.com
    Nicheflix
    Cableorganizer.com
    Dishstore.net
    Bluejeanscable
    GotApex
    eCoustics
    plasmatvshowcase

Heck, there’s a link to the Lance Armstrong Foundation –- trust no one with a yellow bracelet...

In truth, Robert is a knowledgeable guy, and most of his posts are very good. For some reason, however, he has an obvious bias against SVS that is so irrational he resorts to implying dishonest motives. Yes, he will say they are good, but he follows that with a “but” virtually every time.

To be fair, Jeff asked for opinions on the Paradigm PW-2200. Jeff is in Canada where Paradigm becomes a better value than it is in the U.S. and SVS becomes less of a great value. Sure the SVS is still a great value, but the cost of the in-home audition does go up along with the price of the sub. Jeff has heard the Paradigm and liked it. I would suggest, if possible, that he try to find someone near him willing to demo an SVS. The same advice would go to Robert.

-Robb

15. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Even if SVS was not a sponsor they would get the same post from owners. Heck i even seen people who don't own an SVS products reccomend them. SVS has a proven track record from pro reviews and #'s too back it up, but it comes down to you Jeff. If you can find someone who is willing to demo their SVS. Make your own mind up, it might be for you or it might not. Is SVS the only great sub maker around? No their are other companies that make fine products as well but it's all subjective in the end and it comes down to your ears.

I just don't get why being a sponsor is questioable and has anything to do with the products performance, a members exposure to other products and word of mouth recommendations. This seems to always be a problem with some people here.

16. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Stunt Coordinator

Although this forum tends to favor Svs, I find Hsu manufacture a very good subwoofer. Any doubt can be seen in lots of pro reviews from magazines like Stereophile Guide, Absolute Sound, Widescreen Review, Audio Magazine, Sound and Vision, Audiophile Voice, Home Theater Magazine, Audio Critic, Sensible Sound. Most reviews can be seen on their web site.
    http://www.hsuresearch.com/reviews/

If your in Canada Hsu Research now has a local agent so shipping, warranty and import hassles are no longer an issue for Canadians.
    http://www.hi-fidelity.com/

PC

17. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I've used subwoofers for many, many years. I've built a few subs meself (in addition to speakers). I have owned very decent commercial subs (VMPS and custom-built Ryan Acoustics)...and have seen and heard a myriad of subbass systems, both tiny and huge, commercial and do-it-yourself, during my 35 years as an audiophile, audio society founder and President, and as a die-hard film lover and HT fan, so I have a damned good idea of what subwoofing is all about.

After some serious, deep thought and consideration I conscicously and with a very clear purpose of mind opted, chose, and elected to purchase subbass systems from SVS because in my educated opinion SVS manufactures ACCURATE bass signal reproducers at very affordable prices...plus the damned things are made right here in the US of A to boot ( [​IMG] ), something which means one hell of a lot to me in this day and age when everything seems to be made in Red ......g China! [​IMG]

I don't care what anybody thinks; I only care what I think, and to my way of thinking SVS subs, at least the models I've purchased, provides me with what I sought after for many years, regardless of whether other more accurate subbass transducers exists or not!
    Btw, the occasional praises I lavish upon SVS products are given FREELY without expecting remuneration or approval from SVS or anyone else.

You know...it has finally hit me: many seem to hate/dislike SVS because they're simply intimidated, scared, and plain envious of this young company's outstanding success and achievements (real American entrepeneurism at work and at its best! [​IMG] )!
    So let those who are antagonistic against SVS and its legions of followers stew in their own misery.
    Meantime I will continue to bask in the infrabass happiness that SVS has brought into MY world... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am a damned proud SVS B4-Plus twins and 16-46 octet bassaholic!... [​IMG] [​IMG] "

18. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

God bless you, Frank Manrique [​IMG]

19. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Funny, that's exactly how us Canadians feel about the good ol' US of A [​IMG]. Walmart, Starbucks, Old Navy, Best Buy, etc. killing our small businesses ..... I wouldn't get on the "Reds" so much, you guys do it too [​IMG].

20. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I own 2 SVS products because they do a great job at a fine price. I also followed Tom Vodhanel's posts (before he went into business) on subwoofer output. Tom used to keep an extensive list that is still in the Forum's Hardware Archives.

I also like HSU. HSU was the first to do cylinders. About 5 or 6 years before SVS. Dr. HSU knows cylinders. And now he knows boxes.

Since the original post is from a Canadian, the PW 2200 is a very good sub and a good buy for him.

Speaking of good buys for those who live in the US, HSU has their top-of-the-line box, the VTF-3 MK II in Genuine Rosewood for $699 plus $50 shipping. This is an excellent sub and you can't touch this kind of performance in real Rosewood anywhere else for $699.

HSU also has their top-of-the-line cylinder, the TN 1220 with their custom made 500 watt amp for $1000 delivered. This little gem managed 101 db at 12.5 HZ when tested. That's right 12.5 Hz.

Just some food for thought.

Artie