What's new

Look what I'm getting tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
This is what the website says about the mid woofer. I think it is 6.5 inches. I did not care that much about size as the frequency response. I have a decent subwoofer 20-39PC+ for the lowest end anyway.

Added later: The woofer is 18cm or about 7 inches.

"W18EX
A tweeter as detailed and accurate as the G2 requires a mid-woofer capable of a high level of detail. We chose the high-sensitivity version of the Seas W18 mid/woofer from their top-tier Excel performance line. This low-mass magnesium cone driver is among the most dynamic and detailed midrange drivers available. It is a perfect complement to the speed of the G2 tweeter."

Ned

Supporting Actor
My friend used the cheaper G2Si ribbon in his DIY center. It sounds fantastic although just ever so slightly strident. Very minor and could be easily softened with a little eq. Those should be nice speakers Tim.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
By strident, I'm assuming you mean forward or bright? I would assume this would be dependent on the cross over design, the room, and other aspects of the implementation of the speaker. But, all's I can say at this point is, "we'll see".

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Sure, I'll give my impressions once they're here and set up. It's funny, the cascade of upgrades this speaker upgrade is bound to cause. I'm currently using a modest receiver, Onkyo 501, which probably does not have enough clean power to do these speakers justice. But, the 501 does not have pre outs. So next it's researching preamps, processors, amps. It's endless. And of course, stands for the bookshelves...http://www.standsonthenet.com/audiostand.html

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Yeah really! I know how you feel Tim. I just got a pair of Dunlavy SC2-AV's. Amazing speakers. But now I need some hefty stands and a bigger amp. Thankfully my reciever has preouts.

But those do look pretty amazing. My father inlaw has a pair of old infinity's with ribbon tweeters and they sound great. Well have fun.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse, I saw your thread where you described how and why you got your speakers. I actually had to pay for mine. The box just arrived, so I'm about to unpack and set them up. Here goes...

More later.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, the bose were in the running up until the end, but the salk's won by a hair.

John Garcia: Thanks for pointing that out to me.:) They actually look better in person than the pictures could ever show. Amazing cabinet work on the part of JS. That really seems to be his specialty in my opinion. Of course, they sound awesome as well. They crave power is my initial impression.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't expect the 501 to have enough power to drive a ribbon based speaker (not surprising they seem power hungry) What're the specs on them? Are they pretty efficient?

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
John, the Salks are not as efficient as other speakers I have, but I don't know the exact number. The 501 barely has enough power. To really get them to sing, I had to turn up the juice to about 3/4 of 100%. I'm going to start looking at the used amp market...Without the 20-39PC+, I'd be really hurting.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
So far these sound fantatic. These speakers have solved a number of problems that I had been blaming on my subwoofer and room. I had been having some issues with slightly muddy sounding bass, which I had assumed was sub placement and my room interacting. It was actually my old speakers playing muddy mid base. I was getting some boominess, but not anymore. My SVS sub blends almost flawlessly with the new speakers. It's almost like I got a new sub along with the HT1s. Very cool. The mids and highs are crystal clear as with these. My only beef and this is exactly as expected, is that bad recordings are almost not tolerable with these speakers. Very unforgiving in that regard... these speakers really tell in like it is for the good or the bad. I'm hearing things in recordings that I did not know were there. I'd describe it as the same wow factor that I had when moving from regular television to high def. You used to think the picture you had was good until you saw the hi def version. After that there's not really any going back. The other thing I'm enjoying is the "punch" the HT1s seem to be adding to music. So, I'll say that I'm enjoying my new toys, and I'm very happy with the purchase. It's also exciting to me that I'll have this quality of sound for a long time to come and will only get better as I upgrade my source equipment. I'm debating myself and researching the pros and cons of separates vs. integrated amp / prepro. It's obvious to me that the HT1s want more power than my current set up can give them and I want to keep them happy!! Here are a couple of photos of the speakers in their new home. Notice the crooked picture. Guess what caused that?

Ten points to anyone who can guess what's sitting under the heat vent to the right of the TV.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/tstumpf/tfs1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/tstumpf/tfs3.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/tstumpf/tfs2.jpg

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
hi tim,
welcome to club Salk.
when you get some time, how about an indepth review?
we have Salk HTS-MTMs for our dedicated ht set up.
i would love to have a Veracity based music only stereo.
best,
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks