Look to upgrade, need options/opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_R, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I've currently got some 12 gauge monster cable for the mains and some unmatching cable for center. As a result the sound is not very seamless. Aside from other things as well. Who makes good cable? I'm looking up to $3/foot. IXOS (found on www.accessories4less.com ) has some good options. Is this good cable?
    I only need 21 feet, 3 7 foot runs. I suppose 3 8 foots runs might give me a little more breathing room, but it all depends. I'd like to spend no more than $40. But with a good recommendation i'll consider more.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jon: I'm afraid the wireing is NOT the reason you have soundstage problems.

Yes, speaker wires do make a bit of difference, but it is very subtile. And you tend to only notice it with very accurate music systems, not movie systems.

You really need to try different speaker placements and level adjusting to solve the soundstage issues.

If anything, just go buy 8 more feet of Monster for that center so all 3 front speakers have the same wires. Should run you about $10 and you have eliminated the wire-difference as a problem.

Then, hit us again for speaker placement tips.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Bob, I read that, and I smiled. After I posted that I thought, "man, what a silly thing to post". Sure, speaker wire does make a difference but I have some decent stuff as it is. So I went out and bought the other 8 feet of Monster OMC, $7.38 and will get around to installing and testing later.
    Good recommendation!
    BTW, speaker placement is just about as tweaked as possible. She lets me keep them a little over 1 foot from the wall and that really helps.
    That IXOS wire can be had very cheaply from www.accessories4less.com and it gets good reviews too.
    Just a thought for people wanting to try a new type of wire or looking for something innovative.
    Jon

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

No problem. Sometimes it helps to bounce ideas off of other people to help you catch the obvious.

A very common issue it toe-in. I like to use a laser-pointer held along side my front speakers to "see" where they are pointing. Doing it by eye is usually off.

There are 3 thoughts on toe-in:

- A) the L/R beams intersect about 1 foot in front of the listener (the standard for music systems)

- B) the L/R beams intersect exactly on the listener

- C) the L/R beams intersect about a foot behind the listener.

Hint 1: Roll the laser pointer across a table/countertop and watch the spot on the wall. If the spot makes circles, the laser pointer is not good for alignment duties. If the spot moves back & forth, it's a keeper.