Look, it's another Tarantula thread...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Haven't started a tarantula thread in quite a while now... so here's one.
    I like spiders!
    My little Chilean Rose is now eating again, it was on a fast for more than a year!!! Now it's eatting like a good little spider should, make sure all it's legs grow up nicely and hopefully it'll get into a good school and become a productive member of society. I feel like a father [​IMG] Fasting is not at all unusual for tarantulas, especially Chilean rose Ts.
    It's still tiny, like the legspan is still about an inch whereas my other two Tarantulas are all becoming quite the big hairy spider variety. I've grown to holding the little rose guy, he just kind of stays there and explores my hand and arm a little. He's digging again in his tupperware (Betty Crocker) dish, which is always a good sign. I think he might go into construction when he/she grows up.
    There, that's better... starting to feel inundated with all you cat and dog owners...
    [​IMG]
    Jay

2. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

What..... no pics???

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Jay, I love hearing about your spiders... Not sure I could handle touching one, personally, but they fascinate me and I love to watch them.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You want pics, you've got one... I tried taking one of my B smithi but she was feeling a little shy today, she's in her cave, you know she's very modest. But my B boehmei is quite the looker. Here's a picture of him:
    Brachypelma boehmei
    Here's my tiny Chilean rose tarantula, with a nickel next to her. Should of used macro mode, the picture is a little out of focus because of it... oh well, next time. Notice her opithosoma (aka abdomen) is huge because I fed her last week and then the week before that.. That's alot of food for a s'ling.
    Chilean Rose
    I just went on a cricket mission, the one pet store that I always bought my crickets went out of business [​IMG] [​IMG] and the other one was out so I had to go about 10 miles further to pick up some crickets for the guys.. I hope they appreciate it [​IMG]
    Jay

5. Marshall Alsup

Man, those spiders are cool! Especially the first one! I love how red it is. Do they have names? Do they bite?

Whats involved in keeping spiders? Our local pet shop has a really nice bit hairy trantula that I've thought would make a cool pet, but I dont know the first thing about keeping them.

Is there any good net resources?

-Marshall

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Marshall, if you want to see red, you should of seen him when he just molted, that's when they are the most colorfull. The guy's common name is typically called a Mexican Redleg but most people in the hobby frown upon common names used to much because everybody has variations of the theme so the latin scientific names are common.
    As far as keeping Tarantulas, here's a great book to get:
    http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/g2.html
    You can find them at Amazon and many larger bookstores online. You can also find alot of stuff on the net about making a cage and feeding and stuff. Tarantulas make great inexpensive pets. Most Ts do not need to be fed that often, heck, it's probably better not to feed to much or they'll get fat and lazy, but it's oh so fun to watch them catch crickets and stuff.
    In addition to your local pet store which might not have a big variety (and some adult Ts can be expensive in a store), you can also buy them online and have them shipped via Airborne Express overnight and stuff.. I bought mine from www.petcenterusa.com, the guy there is very knowledgeable and they are a reputable dealer dealing with lots of inverts , in addition to Tarantulas.
    http://www.atshq.org/articles/factsheet.html
    That is also the American Tarantula Society's website..
    http://www.arachnophiliac.com/burrow/spiders.htm
    Also has a bunch of info and links and caresheets...
    There's really not much involved with keeping them, it all depends on the type of Tarantula you get, arboreal ones (lives in trees) or terrestrial ones (lives on the ground), most will thrive in food storage containers til they're big enough and even then a 5 gallon fish tank is nice sized. They need a lid with no hole larger than their abdomen and a water dish for humidity. Substrate can be a variety of stuff, I typically use a 60/40 mixture of peat and vermiculite. Make sure you get peat without any fertilizers and both can be gotten from a garden center.
    Shelter is nice and a heat pad on the back or below for the cool days/nights depending on your species.
    Jay

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I want to hear details on:

Cleaning the cage. How often, how hard, etc?

Playing with them. Can or do you hold them often? What do they do? Will they just sit on your hand or crawl up your arm or what? Do they bite? I read something about little fine hairs these things brush off onto your skin that can be very irritating and really bad if you get them in your eyes.

Smell. Would one T in a little fish tank stink?

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The little rose one almost doesn't even look like a turantula? Will it get any bigger than that, and change colors?

9. Marshall Alsup

When I asked if they had names I meant whether or not you'd given them names like.... "bob" or "toothy" [​IMG]
    Thanks for all those links, I cant wait to look through them!
    -marshall

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    or crazy legs? [​IMG]

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Ah, threads like these always remind me of my pet scorpion. (The oscure/evil cousin of the spider).

Anyway, What do you people do with spider shells? After Hank (My scorpion) molts I tend to leave the husk on top of the mailbox down the street (Then videotape the hilarity that ensues!).

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I kind of have my spider skins lying around, some people put them in books and stuff.

I tend to feed mine every couple of days, one medium to large sized cricket. Sometimes a superworm. You can get away really with a couple times a month or so, but the fun part is putting in a cricket and watching the catch if you have the time, otherwise if you drop the cricket right in front of the T, the cricket has no chance if the T is hungry. All Ts will fast for a while after they molt (The smaller the spider, the more often they molt) and sometimes they'll fast for a few days and others a week or two. Because after the molt, their skin, including their fangs/chelicera are soft so they tend not to eat.

I'll buy a dozen crickets at a time, feed them fish food (I keep fish too) and calcium-loaded gut load...
    I've been known to feed them every other day for a bit, just because I like to but then usually I'll slow down. If I go on vacation, they just don't eat, 2 weeks, one month, it's not unusual in the wild, they make great vacation pets as you don't need to feed them as often as say cats and dogs.

Jay