What's new

Longshot for Contrived 2.1 Setup (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Randy
I am wondering if anyone on this forum might be familiar with the Nikko Alpha 130 amp and the Rotel RC-970BX preamp.

If so, I am wondering if their is any way to use these to run a 2.1 set-up.

I have the Rotel manual and it states “you may use two power amps to run speakers in the main room and a remote set in another room... You may also choose to use one power amp for the main speakers and another to run a subwoofer.”

However, I do not have the Nikko manual, so my question is:

Can I use my powered SC2 and the Nikko with two speakers to accomplish the 2.1 set-up? And if so, how?

Much thanks to anyone who may offer assistance.

-R

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know what the "powered SC2" is, but you should be able to use an external sub crossover to feed a powered sub.

Real Name
Randy
"SC2" is the Definitive Technologies SuperCube 2.

Will this unit require an external sub crossover?

I thought it had a built-in crossover.

It didn't have a manual when I purchased it and my knowledge beyond the old fashioned stereo set-ups is limited.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ideally you want to use a line level crossover, which you can definitely do since you have a preamp and external amp. Powered subs typically only have low pass, line level crossovers, which is only half of what you need. They are intended for use with an HT receiver or processor, rather than a plain stereo one, which provides the high pass part of the equation. Since you are most likely missing the high pass part in your sub, and even if it had it, you don't want to feed the signal all the way to the sub and back to the amp, you are probably best using an external sub crossover, which has both high pass and low pass. Then you just bypass the crossover in the sub altogether.

Real Name
Randy
Yes, I see what you are saying.

I was looking for some assurance that these components would work in the desired configuration before I started trying to hook it up as it involved moving furniture and riling up some heavy layers of dust.

Once I got all of the components separated and ready for re-setting, it was pretty easy to see how to put them together- albeit without the external crossover.

I had been using an Onkyo TX-SR 805 with the two speakers and the SuperCube2 as my computer speakers- but when my SVS PB12 Plus/2 arrived this weekend, I broke off the Onkyo to start putting together the HT.

The HT will replace my old stereo set-up so I was hoping I could use those components as my computer speaker set-up.

So now I've got the Nikko amp, Rotel Pre, SC2, and 2- Axiom Algonquin bookshelves hooked up to my MacBook and an old Magnavox CD player (FD3040).

The Nikko is pushing the Algonquins pretty nicely and the SC2 is thumpin' the bass- but it does seem to be missing some cohesion compared to when I had the TX-SR 805 in the equation.

While I figure with this equipment I'm never going to be able to create a complete sound stage, I will look into an external amp to try and pull it together a little better.

I'm going to do some research on external sub crossovers but do you (or anyone) have any to recommend in the low to medium price range?

I truly appreciate your advice and am grateful for this venue that HTForum provides!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't see what another amp is going to do.

All you need is a sub crossover. I don't know what models are available, but you can look at parts express for starters.

Real Name
Randy
Right... I follow you, no other amp.

I just mention the Onkyo AVR because it is what I'm trying to use the Nikko amp to replace.

My search for an external sub crossover is now on.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation156
Recent bookmarks