Longshot Apple/AirPort 2.0 and AOL question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nelson Au, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I know this is a long shot, and that the majority of you are PC users and have no love for AOL, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    I'm a Mac user and with the new release of AirPort 2.0 that is compatible with AOL, I picked one up last Friday for my Firewire Powerbook running OS 9.0.4. It works great to access AOL wirelessly in my house, it rocks.
    But there is some kind of problem to access the internet. I believe the hiccup could be on AOL's side as it shows it's trying to connect to a server called: mac3.proxy.aol.com. It hangs there. But I know the Airport is working and set up as per the installation instructions as I have full wireless access to AOL content.
    I've checked a Mac and the Apple sites and it seems to be a common problem. The only possible fix one guy found is a beta X version of AOL and some funny trickery to fool AOL. I'm not that savvy with the technical side, so it sounds like a voodoo solution. AOL and Apple worked together to make this happen, so I'm sure there is a way to make it work, I just have not found it yet.
    Any insights appreciated, thanks!
    Nelson[​IMG]

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'll try connecting at work tomorrow and see if I have any problems. What version of AOL are you using?
    I've had the same problem you're having at home even without the AirPort. It's because there's a problem with the IP connection (you can check the TCP/IP control panel when you're connected) and you aren't assigned an IP address for some reason. Usually if I disconnect and dial back in, it's fine. Fortunately I won't have to worry about it too much longer...I'm getting broadband on Dec. 12th. [​IMG]

3. Nelson Au

Hi Michael-

I am using AOL version 5.0 for the Macintosh. The TCP/IP settings are as per the settings that came preset from the software included with the AirPort 2.0 CD.

I've not had any trouble accessing AOL by wire. Good luck with your efforts.

Nelson

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I wasn't able to connect initially, but found that there's another update I didn't have. AOL Extras is a download from Apple (about 385K) and is required for AirPort/AOL compatibility. Basically it's two files that are dragged into AOL's Online Files folder. Once I did that and reconfigured the AirPort base station, the AOL connection to the Internet worked like a charm. Hopefully it'll work for you.

5. Nelson Au

Michael-

I actually had a different situation. I had those files you mentioned installed from the Apple AirPort 2.0 install disc.

I discovered from a discussion forum on Apple's website that AOL had a newer version of 5.0. I downloaded it and re-installed and reconfigured it and now I am responding to this post via wireless AirPort! Yippee.

Thanks for your input though. It's good to find another Mac user here.

Nelson