What's new

Longest run for S-video Cable??? (1 Viewer)

John Cain

Second Unit
I want to put my Sat receiver in one room and run it to a TV in a different room (I am too cheap to buy two!)
What is the longest run of S-Video cable I can have and not lose signal quality?? Or will I do better to use a RG-6 for a run of 50 feet??
How about Component video cable?? What is the longest run for that I can make and not lose picture quality??
I'm willing to plunk down up to 100-125 for a top-notch cable.
Thanks,
-- John
[Edited last by John Cain on October 02, 2001 at 06:19 AM]

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I've gone 25' without any noticeable drop in quality using s video and component video.
I would guess that 50' is the max you would want to go without using an amp.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
John, you're willing to pay $100 - $125 for a cable, but not for a new sat receiver? What kind of sat are we talking about? I'm positive you can get a directv receiver for that price.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am using 20ft s-video and component cables currently to supply a ceiling-mounted projector. For component runs, you can go very long. You can even make you own cables by using decent coaxial cable and get the adaptors for each end. A 50ft length of s-video cable would be susceptible to loss and would be hard to find. As a matter of fact, it would have to be custom made. If you have a choice, do it with component cable. Try using 3 runs of RG-6 cable and adapt the ends.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 02, 2001 at 11:27 PM]

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
If you're at all concerned check out Tributaries' S-Video compensator. It accommodates runs up to 1000 ft. without signal degradation.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

J

John Coleman

Well, speaking from personal experience, my company's s-video cable has been stress tested at lengths over 75' without any visible signs of degradation. However, our cable was built from the ground up with long runs in mind. However, you should be able to find a long s-video cable without too much trouble.
Also, if you are running at lengths greater than 20', I would highly recommend going with a "better than average cable". The materials themselves are not outrageously expensive (typically), so when you choose a custom cable provider (very few companies offer lengths of s-video cables over 25' as standard products), the price shouldn't be too bad. I am sure you can go up to and beyond 50' and still stay under $200, for a very good cable.
However, it will be up to you to decide if an additional receiver makes sense. For example, will your remote work from the new location? Will there be circumstances where you will want to watch different channels at each location?
Anyway, a few things to think about. Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you have any additional questions regarding cables or connection. I hope this helped.
------------------
John Coleman
Cobalt Cable
[email protected]

Jason Price

Second Unit
Once my basement is finished, I'm going to have about 30'-40' between my equipment and my RPTV. I plan to run 2 S-video runs and 2 component runs. I don't have a ton of money to spend on cables, so can you guys recomment an economical way of doing this? People have mentioned using RG-6 for s-video runs - would that be the same quality as a store-bought s-video cable? What about the 250' spool of s-video cable sold at partsexpress? Can I use that for a 40' run if necessary?

John Cain

Second Unit
Thx guys.
I can't get another Hi-def Sat Receiver as cheaply as I can get a longer cable for occasional non- hi-def use on another TV.
The Sat Receiver will sit in my Dedicated HT in the basement, and the long run is up to the smaller TV in the Den upstairs. That TV is on Cable, but occasionally we want to watch something from the Sat up on the Den's TV.
Does that clear it up
wink.gif
??
So it sounds like a 50' run with a good quality cable will be np..
Many thanks!
-- John
------------------

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
John,
I'm still a little confused here. If you will be using the s-video output why would you have to buy another "hi def" receiver? Couldn't you just buy a regular receiver? Also, won't you also have to buy a remote control extender in order to change the channel on the DSS receiver in the HT? The cheapest IR repeater I've seen is about $40. So that's $140-160 dollars for cables and repeater vs $100 or less for a standard DSS receiver. Now, if it's that you don't want to spend $5 more a month for the second box then I can understand. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to understand a little more and possibly help you out. Best wishes, of course.
Dan Hine

Jason Price

Second Unit
Any thoughts on this cable:
50' S-video cable
I need 2 runs of 40', and was considering putting together my own using the bulk s-video cable and connectors at partsexpress untill I ran across this cable. The 50 footers are cheaper and easier than assembling them myself. What do you guys think?
------------------
-Jason
If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

J

John Morris

I am currently using a Mogami 50 foot S-Video cable without any loss whatsoever versus my previous 5 meter Monster S-video cable. In fact, this cable looks better! BTW, this cable cost me less than $50...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

John Cain

Second Unit
Hi John (merc) where did you get that cable you just mentioned????
Dan? I already have an IR repeater, and I'm still thinking I can get out of this with paying 50.00 or less for a cable.
Thanks guys,
-- John
------------------

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
John: You dont need another High Def receiver for the second room. It's an ordinary TV. It would be cheaper/easier and a lot more convient to just get a second DirectTV receiver.
And...what about the audio? You also have to run L/R audio from the HD receiver to the second room. That's 3 cables you need to run: SVideo and L/R audio.
That second receiver is looking more and more attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks