Longer sub cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Currently I'm in the process of changing the placement of my Subwoofer and moving it from the front of my living room to the corner in the back of the room behind my couch. In order to do this I'm going to need at least 12-16 feet of subwoofer cable (RCA cable?) does anyone know of a place where I can get this kind of cable for this kind of length? perhaps Radioshack? thanks.

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Most of the sub cables I have seen at most retail chains tend to come in fairly long lengths. BestBuy, Radio Shack, or Circuit City should all have what you're looking for.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    That length should be easy to find at most retail type stores noted above. If you wanted to order something on line there are places like Markertek or Milestek (e.g. www.milestek.com). Milestek, for example, can make up a custom cable for $12.00 plus $0.20 ft. The part no. would be CA-1394-XXX, where XXX is the length in inches so that a 15 ft. cable would cost $15.00 plus shipping and would be CA-1394-180.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Keith: The cable you are talking about is called "Coaxial" cable. If you cut it, it looks almost exactly like your CATV coax.

Coax is judged/rated by the frequency that it starts to not pass un-altered. Since a subwoofer only deals with frequencies from 20-120 hz. nearly any coax will work for a sub.

For long runs, some people just buy ordinary CATV coax and put RCA plugs on the ends. This is also a good way to make a temporary cable while playing around with different sub positions.

A very popular size/format of coax is called "RG6". The custom sites will typically use this coax for your custom subwoofer cable.