Longer Interconnect or Speaker Cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Dec 20, 2001.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have the option of using a .5 meter mono sub IC for the amp, which would force me to run 25 feet of the Home Depot 12 Ga speaker wire, OR I can run a 6 meter Ixos bronze mono sub IC and just a couple of feet (+/-) of the 12 Ga.

What are the tradeoffs?

My thinking is to run shorter "amplified" signals. No reason, really, for thinking that, but it sounds good.

Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I think the general consensus is to run longer ICs, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that, and I think that depends on a lot of factors. Can your preamp drive a 6' interconnect? How much EMI/RFI do you have in your environment? I think those would be the basic deterrents to longer interconnects.

3. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Price wise you are better off running longer speaker cables.

I have tried both longer IC and longer speaker cable for center channel aplication and cannot notice any noticeable differance so take your pick. I ended up using a loner IC but that was more a conveniance factor rather than based on audio performance. Dont think the average Pre/Pro or AVR would have trouble with a 6 foot IC.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It probably doesn't matter, anyway. This is home theater, not some underground lab. Or is it?? I think I'll keep the amp in the rack and run the 25 foot speaker cable. Mono subs' distortion from this type of A/B comparision is probably miniscule.
    Thanks, guys, for the replies.
    Keep them coming, though, if there's something I should know...
    [​IMG]

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

You're right, for a subwoofer it's practically irrelevant. I hadn't thought about that.