What's new

"Long Way Round" - Ewan McGregor Miniseries (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if "Long Way Round" -- the miniseries that aired on Bravo -- is coming to DVD?

I would consider purchasing the British version, but it is PAL. I don't know if that'd work on my Sony DVD player, but I do think it'd work on my Macintosh running OS 10.3.7.

Anyone have any idea???

I loved the miniseries and would love to own it.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Anyone know if Bravo's gonna reair it? I started recorded the first few episodes but I eventually either forgot or they changed the timeslot or something.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I've been trying to find info on this myself, to no avail. I loved this show, and I hope it does make to DVD on this side of the Atlantic, but so far I haven't seen word one about it anywhere. I didn't record it when it aired because I figured it would be right out on DVD. Oh well.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This has finally been released on DVD in the USA, but it is only the 2-disc version for the USA, while the rest of the world is getting a 3-disc Special Edition. :angry:

On the Long Way Round website, it states:

=======================
Worldwide DVD Releases:

Australia - 10 Episode released 13th November 2005
Canada - 10 Episode released November/ December 2005
New Zealand - 7 Episode DVD currently available. 10 Episode DVD released November 2005
South Africa - 10 Episode DVD released 9th January 2006
USA - 7 Episode DVD released 13th December 2005

=======================

Since I am inexperienced with different region DVDs and do not have a region-free player to order the PAL version, is Canada PAL? I thought Canada was NTSC Region 1 also. So, is this one from Amazon.ca going to be the 3-disc Special Edition?:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...670948-6040307

The DVD case pictured is the 2-disc version, there are no details of "3 discs" in the technical specs, and the description is from Amazon.com so it obviously only states the 2-disc version. However, looking above at the Long Way Round site, they list the Canada version as the 3-disc set.

My question to all of our Canadian friends (and Home Theater Forum enthusiasts!) is how can I purchase the 3-disc Special Edition??? Some people on BMW motorcycle discussion boards are reporting that ordering it from Amazon.ca is getting them the 3-disc Special Edition, but I'm skeptical seeing as though the information is just not there to indicate it is the 3-disc set.

Oh, confusion! :eek:

My other question is why-oh-why do DVD companies do this? Why do they have to release a Special Edition to the rest of the world but not to the USA too? I guess I just don't understand marketing and the DVD market. And if Canada is NTSC Region 1 also, then what's the difference?

Christopher D

Second Unit
I just received this from Amazon.ca and can confirm that they are selling the three disc, 10-episode version. The cover is not as pictured -- it is very similar if not identical to the UK R2 special edition. So big thumbs up - around $25 US shipped.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Hey, tough guy, let's see you leave your family, ride a motorcycle through some of the harshest terrain possible, witnessing unbelievable poverty and hardship, and have it filmed for the rest of the world to witness.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I can also confirm that ordering from Amazon.ca will get you the 3-disc Special Edition. The only difference I can see from the US 2-disc in terms of technical specs is that this 3-disc SE from Canada is NTSC: All Regions, there are four language subtitles, and the Dolby Digital is 2.0 and not 5.1. However, with this release it isn't necessary to have 5.1 since it was recorded with camcorder-type mics and really, what could benefit from 5.1 in a documentary production like this?

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Well, my comment was really made in jest. What I was really trying to say is how they kept whining and complaining how the trip was taking a toll on themselves, how they wished the crew wasn't there at times, how it should have been just the two of them.... so, why did they have to make a big production out of it in the beginning, instead of just taking off on their own with no outside help (which is what they were whining about). Certainly McGregor had enough money to fund this entire trip by himself; I dont know about Boorman, but I'd imagine he's well off on his own, his dad being a famous director and all. Many many others (with much less money) have done round the world thing with much better results. Besides, they didn't REALLY leave their families behind, they talked to them on the phone pretty much every day. Some of the reviews on amazon are pretty hilarious, I'd recommend reading those for a laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks