Long video cable runs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarrettG, Apr 18, 2002.

1. GarrettG

GarrettG Auditioning

Hello,

I'm moving my modest theater setup into a differnt room and want to have my receiever a fair distance from my TV. As a result, I need to run video cables (all types... composite, s-video, componet, and coax) about 25 or 30 feet! The receiver is a Denon 4802 and the TV is currently a Toshiba TW40X81. I plan to change the TV to a 60" or so Mits or Sony. The cables will be used for everything, including progessive scan DVD, HDTV, video games, VHS, etc.

My question: What are some cost effective solutions? I don't want to spend way too much or sacrifice way too much quality.

I also need a 15-18 foot subwoofer cable. Any suggestions there?

Thanks,

Garrett

2. GarrettG

GarrettG Auditioning

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Garrett.
    WHERE TO BUY:
    You have some choices. You can make your own cables. Here is a good site to show you how:
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/DIYCable.htm
    This will work for everything except the SVideo cables.
    Or, you can hit one of the various custom houses that will make cables that can handle HD/Progressive. Last week I did a quick survey for someone who wanted a 12 foot component video cable set and here is what I found:
    BetterCables.com: $170 - 5 Meter Silver Serpent
    CatCables.com: $165 - 4 Meter Tigress
    CobaltCables.com: $112 4 Meter Ultimate Component
    KustomKables.com: $94 - 3 Meter Cable
    Cable Solutions (via eBay): $91 Canare cable 12 ft
    Most of these have a base-price for XX feet, then a few bucks per foot for more. You just have to hit each and calculate your 30 foot price.
    Good Luck

4. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

The Markertek cable you referenced isn't spec'd for HD signals but try this one http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/Sto...aseItem=3BNC-3 instead. You just need to buy some BNC to RCA adapters.
    As far as the sub cable goes, any RCA audio cable will do, I recently bought a 50 footer from Markertek for $45 or so.

5. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

To add to Bob's list:

Rhinocables.com uses Belden cables 4m $79.95

Diycable.com uses Gepco cables (similar specs to Belden). They can also provide all your cable needs.