Long time cable guy finally switching to DBS...needs help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Go, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Marc Go

Marc Go Agent

I live in the North Jersey area and am leaning towards Dish over Direct TV. I will not have any sports packages (except maybe the Golf Channel), but I want HBO and local channels. I have a HT system, so I would like to get Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcasts. We do not have a HD TV. I have a cable modem for high speed internet through our PC, and I am pretty sure that when I stop getting cable I will be unable to get the cable modem signal. Also we have four TV's in the house. Two of them we would want hooked up seperately (master bedroom and family room), this would probably entail two receivers. We currently pay $65 a month for two cable boxes (other two TV's run without boxes) with HBO and another $30 a month for calbe internet access. I would pay more but cost is a concern. Value is the most important thing.

My questions:

-Does Dish have a good high speed internet option for my computer?

-There are so many deals to choose from (fee installations, fee receivers, etc.), what is currently the best package?

-Should we wait for better deals in the new year?

-What should we do with our other two TV's? Does it make sense to run basic cable in the house for them (thus keeping the cable modem option as well)? I would rather not have ANY cable, though.

-Should we check out Direct TV as well?

-Where would you buy the package?

So many questions, so little time!

Thanks.

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

If high speed internet access is a priority for you, you will probably not be happy with internet via satellite. At best, it is a fraction of the speed of a good cable provider, and it is very high latency - meaning there is a lag of a second or so from when you "request" content until it even begins appearing. Once the return stream starts, the speed is reasonable. This is not too bad for web surfing, but if you are at all into online gaming, this is not for you. This goes for ALL satellite internet providers.

Nobody can answer the "best package" question except you. It depends on your hardware and programming needs.

As with any technology - yeah you can wait for a better deal... but you can ALWAYS wait for a better deal... There's no time like the present.

Your third and fourth sets could receive satellite from one of the other two receivers. The channel watched would have to be the same as in the room where the receiver is located. There are literally dozens of ways to do this, depending on your house, distance between rooms, whether you want wired or wireless, stereo or RF mono...

>"Should we check out Direct TV as well?"

Why not??

It costs nothing to visit their website!

-Scott

3. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Hi,

For the record, I have a friend here in Los Angeles who is a long time DTV subscriber and he has a cable modem through the local cable franchise company and there was no problem with him having just this and no cable account for television. I would check with the people who do the cable modem installation and see of this is not also possible for you. All they can do is say no, right?

Deborah

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Marc,
    I live in Northwest NJ and I have both Dish Network satellite service and internet service through my cable company (Cablevision). Since you already have cable running into your house you should be able to keep the internet service. The downside is price. If you are a cable subscriber with at least "Family Cable package" (roughly $30), the internet service, called Optimum Online is an additional $29.99/month. If you're not a current cable subscriber (like me) it's $39.99/month. $40 isn't exactly chicken feed for internet service but as you know, once you've used it there's no way in hell you'd ever go back to dial-up.
    As far as satellite service, yes you will need 2 receivers if you plan on hooking it up in different rooms. If you simply split the signal (like with cable) you're forces to watch the same channel on both tv's. For equipment try these guys Dish Depot . There are different packages of equipment/programming/installation and yes there are units with 5.1 Dolby Digital. There are also units with a built in Personal Video Recorder if that interests you.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

6. Erik Pontius

Erik Pontius Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine switched to Dish to follow "Buffy" as it was moving to UPN and the local cable provider was not (at the time) going to carry UPN. He also had cable modem service through the cable company as well. No longer needing the cable TV service, he called them up to cancel just the TV, and was told that he had to carry a basic channel line up in order to maintain his cable modem. After several attempts to plead with the cable company to not charge him for the channels he wasn't watching (not to mention they blocked port 80 not allowing him to run a personal web server), he thumbed his nose to the cable company and switched to DSL.