Long Sub Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Mar, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

I am in need of a fairly long Sub cable, about 35 - 40 feet. This will hook up my B&K AVR305 to a Paradigm Servo-15 Sub. Any suggestions on what I should get that won't break the bank ?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    A sub is passing ltd. frequencies so I don't think you need to break the bank. There are lots of choices, one that comes to mind is http://www.milestek.com/. A good grade cable with good grade RCAs (the part no. may be CA-1381 or 1380 or something like that) I think is $12 plus $0.20/foot so a 40 cable would be about $20 plus shipping. I did not have time to make one when my brother needed one so I ordered it and it is good quality. If that is not breaking the bank for you it would be a good choice. I guess the very cheapest choice would be to get some coax cables with 'F' connectors and then get adapters ('F' to RCA) at Radio Shack and you might be able to get that for a little less.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

RG6 coax is perfectly fine for line-level sub cable.

The custom stereo shop where I purchased my spkrs happens to carry RG6 in "decor" white as well as black. I had a custom length made with F-terminals (they have the crimper tools and dies) with the two RCA-to-F adapters as mentioned.

My cost was $10 for 12 to 14 feet.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what would you recommend as the core, stranded or solid copper?

5. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Try one of the following on-line companies. teflon dielectric, stranded copper coax. The teflon appears to tighten up the bass noticeably. Using the RhinoCables product but any of them will work really well.

Boldercables.com
    RhinoCables.com

removed diycable.com as I just noticed they no longer offer ready made cables. Only DIY cable kits. Then again if you are handy with solder?

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Chu, I guess you're talkin' to Phil.

I'm all ears; maybe I need to "tighten up" my bass with belden/rhino.