Long receipts

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shawn C, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Is anyone else frustrated with the lengths of receipts these days? I went to a store called "The Great Indoors" (owned by Sears) We had to go there to get a new Jenn-Air replacement cooktop.

The receipt was over SIX FEET LONG. Absolutely ridiculous! Can anyone top this?

[​IMG]

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Me too! I shop at Smith's grocery store and they attach all these ridiculous coupons to the receipt, making it insanely long. I'd have to go home and measure them, but I might just be able to beat you out. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I typically buy more than one item when I go shopping for food [​IMG]

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

This receipt is only for 2 items!

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

You're sure that's not the owner's manual to your Jenn-Air cooktop?? [​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

[​IMG] What else is on that thing????? I thought Circuit City was bad, but ACK! How much register tape do they go through every hour? [​IMG]

They must have rolls the size of a dump truck tires in those registers!

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Holy Shit!! [​IMG] And I thought Best Buy was bad. Foodwise, My Winco receipts arent that bad but Safeway can get there.

7. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Two rebates and a coupon for $5.00 off if I take a survey. One of the rebates I don't even qualify for. The other is a free cookbook.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Is the entire cookbook on there? [​IMG]

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I worked in a Sears, and always broke apart the receipts, so I never give the person a 6 foot long receipt, and just explain everything for them:

Here's you're receipt... Here's your mail-in rebate with a copy of the receipt on it... Here's your $5 coupon if you come back this weekend and spend over $20... And this rebate I'll just throw out because you also needed to purchase an 51+ inch HDTV with this $49 DVD player in order to get the rebate... Unless you want to get the 51 inch Sony... No? are you sure?

It's a lot of fun. I bought the new Matrix movie at CC this past weekend, and am amazed at the size of a coupon for a movie. It's almost a giant square.

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

To me the long lists are the ones with 5-6 cds or dvds on them [​IMG]

What I hate is the random chaos of info on sales slips - what store, what date, what product, where is my credit card number.

Half of them seem to have been printed when the ink was low, I can hardly make anything out.

Then they use every possible configuration of date, so that it can now (since 2000) take another few seconds just to figure out even how old the receipt is.

So when I get around to the stack I have to pore over even the tiny receipts to see which ones I can just chuck, which I need to file for warranties, etc.

Minor Grrrr!

11. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

I despise the seemingly 6" wide x 18" long ones from Circuit City--even if it's for a single item.

12. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

long receipts only came around after laser printers became a part of cash registers. remember the good ole' days of dot matrix? when if the cashier was fast it would still be printing when your order was done being rung up... [​IMG]

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

In response to that first post...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

This thread got me thinking about our receipts at CVS. I read this thread yesterday, then today I had a customer who bought 1 bag of balloons for $1.69. The machine printed 5 coupons on the bottom of it - and all of our coupons on the receipts are absolutely worthless. I wanted to know approximately how long that receipt was, so I measured one of my old receipts with 2 items and 1 coupon. The actual receipt part is essentially the same size as hers, that extra item is only 1 extra line. With the coupon, it was 11.5", 4" of that was the coupon. So figure her receipt today was 7" just for the item, and 20" for the coupons. So she got a 2'3" receipt for buying a $1.69 bag of balloons. That's ridiculous. Think of how many trees are cut down for these receipts. Ridiculous. Food for thought for Earth Day next week.

15. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

That is the longest receipt I've ever seen.

On a similar note, the supermarket we go to has one of those seperate coupon printers that might give you a coupon for a competing product or more of one you bought and we get some that are more than 3 feet a lot.

I buy Hot Pockets from time to time to take to work and eat when we don't feel like cooking and often the coupon printer would spit out a coupon for say $1.00 off 4 when we had bought 3 that trip. So we kept experimenting and bought 4, and a coupon came out for $1.25 off 5, next time we were low we bought 5 and out came a coupon for $1.50 off 6. We kept this up over a few months and eventually it was up to like $2.50 off 10 and we relented (good thing we have a seperate freezer [​IMG] ). I wonder if we had bought 50 would it have gave us a coupon for $12.75 off 51 boxes?