Long Menus-- We Don't Want Them!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Pat Frank, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

To heck with commercials before in-theater movies -- what I'm tired of are lengthy menus, studio banners and warnings!!

Some of these menus are utterly ridiculous! They take time to load, time to display, time to play out, and in many cases you can't fast-forward, skip, or reject them -- they're locked in. Even worse, they often show images or even short scenes from the movie I'm about to see! Good lord, what's the point in that? I bought the movie, didn't I?!

And studio banners ahead of the menus? What the heck is that for? I've already got to see a studio banner when the movie begins to play, why do I have to see another one before the menu displays? Does this make any sense at all?

I was kinda slacking off on backing-up my movies onto DVD-R media, but lately I've started doing it again. Only now I'm doing it not just to back up the movie, but to strip the menus and features, so that when I put the movie in, it just *plays*. That's all I want -- just *play*, darn it! (hehe)

I guess this turned into a bit of a rant, but am I the only one who thinks this way? I mean don't get me wrong, I don't mind some of the menus and I've seen plenty of fun ones (like Harold and Kumar). But it just seems like they've gotten really ridiculous lately. (Cold Mountain comes to mind.)

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I think what these menu design people aren't grasping is the idea that we watch these movies multiple times so while something might be kind of cool the first time we see it...it becomes less and less cool with each subsequent replay.

I just keep hitting the menu button until some kind of progress is made. Although I can say without much fear of being wrong that you are hardly alone when it comes to needlessly long menus.

3. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Menus have got to go. They are long, annoying, filled with spoilers and a chore to sit through. They also take up space on the DVD that could be used for the movie itself.

I hate menus!

4. Tim BBB

Tim BBB Auditioning

The worst one I have found is on all the WWE DVD's. They have a "Don't Do This At Home" Warning before the main menu. You can't skip or fast foward it, and it is basically the same one on every single DVD. Cool the first time you see it, but terrible to sit through every time you want to watch one of their DVD's.

My preference is 1 or 2 quick FBI warnings that can be skipped, then right to a Menu that looks nice, but has no moving graphics to start with.

5. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Agreed.

It seems very much like showing off when you get these ridiculously long menu sequences. First it takes forever to get to the main menu because the people responsible for making the discs show half the movie before letting you select anything, and then they show the other half after you select PLAY with the transistion to the movie itself! I don't mind very short animated menus, but some of them are really frustrating! At least let us skip these overlong menu sequences!

6. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I completely disagree.I hate cheap, static menus - more often than not it's the sign of a lack of care for the product. A well-designed menu is a thing of beauty. If you don't like it, hit Play - where's the problem ? Do any of you REMEMBER VHS ?!

And warnings ain't menus, folks.

7. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Um, sometimes you CAN'T simply hit play!

And no one had any issue with FBI warnings.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I don't understand your last line, Anthony, VHS had no menus at all, so you kind of contradicted yourself there. And also, there is nothing wrong with static menu's when the film itself is presented well. Perhaps the studio in question just didn't have the money to spend on animated menus because they spent all the money on restoring and transferring the film.

I agree 100% regarding long menu's, sometimes I can tolerate them, but most of the time I just don't have the patience for them. The worst one's are Van Ling's menu's, now I love the guy don't get me wrong, but his menu's are so long. They're very nice and cool looking, but long.

The menu for The Abyss SE takes it one step further and add's confusion to the mix. When I go to choose a version of the film, I can't tell whether or not the green highlite is the one I want or the white highlite and 9 times out of 10 I choose the wrong one and have to start over again.

The menu for the Dawn of the Dead remake is bad also.

9. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

The things on the WWE DVDs irritate the heck out of me but those aren't menus they're forced trailers which makes them even more annoying.

You can have a nice menu without it taking for ever and ever to load. The 2 do not have to be mutually exclusive.

10. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

The ones that bugs me the most are the ones on Simpsons S2. Until I realized you could press "Menu," I thought you had to go through all four screens.

11. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I would also like to see forced advertisements, FBI warnings, menu animations, etc. go away. (It's not as if people that don't read the FBI warning are legally allowed to pirate the disc, so why force everyone to read the thing everytime they want to watch a DVD?)

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The lawyer's disclaimer that the people speaking on commentaries are using their own minds to make their mouths move annoys me - not only because it is pure legalese, but also because the first two lines of text haven't been typeset properly (densely packed letters on the top line, then far-too-loosely packed letters on the second line). A crazy gripe, but I'm sure any editors out there will agree with me.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I hate these motion menus. Yes, they take way to long to get through.

I like menus like the Superbit. [​IMG]

14. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I agree with all of you- the simpler the menues,
    the better. The shorter the menues, the better.
    Some of the menues are bad enough, but the forced
    trailers suck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

16. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I agree that these long menus HAVE GOT TO GO!!!! I'm sick of waiting and waiting and also don't appreciate the spoilers on some of them. Even when I've already seen the movie many times and already know it by heart, I don't want a sneak preview of a scene I'm about to see soon anyway

I really hope some of the industry people out there are reading and will take note of this thread!

17. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

The worst are on the Disney classics, especially the animated classics and any Universal film. by the time weve gotten through just skipping through beginnings of triolers etc, and with disney it includes a disney home vid logo a disny movie logo , txh etc. (thx logos always seem to be three times louder than the film that follows.
    By the time this is done, I can barely remember what film I have put in the machine!!
    When I have had friends over to see the Harry Potter films, I have to make sure the discs are loaded past the menu intros, cuz they all show scenes that are spoilers. Yuch!!

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I love motion menus, the more elaborate the better, in fact I feel cheated when I'm confronted with a static menu. Happily the studios don't create dvds with you people in mind.[​IMG]

HD-DVD menus will probably be even more interactive, to the point where you have to solve complex puzzles before it allows you access to the film, can't wait.[​IMG]

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    If that is the case with HD-DVD menu's, it will so freaking suck! [​IMG] I don't want to have to obtain a college degree in mathematics or game theory just to watch a movie!

Studio's, are you listening? Please, PLEASE don't do that to us! Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. [​IMG]

20. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Menus don't need to be cheap, bad-looking or static. But they shouldn't take 20 seconds to load, either. Those who made them like that probably thought they were clever and viewers might agree for a while, but it gets tiresome and pointless eventually. It should be possible to cut short to play.