Long live The Weather Channel! (But Sci-Fi Channel's nosediving, baby!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jan 9, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The following was a quote from Bonnie Hammer who is in charge of Scifi channel...
    "THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER observes that the Sci Fi Channel has taken moves of late to preserve the substantial audience growth stemming in part from the success of TAKEN last month.
    Bonnie Hammer, president of the Sci Fi Channel, says, "We want to become more human, more accessible, more fun and just a bit broader, but not as broad as a general entertainment network."
    This is a smart as her comment that if all of the people who wrote to save Farscape actually watched the show. They wouldn't have cancelled it. Uh! hello? I don't think anyone who would write and send things to you didn't watch.
    Maybe, just maybe, the Neilsons are not getting all of the right information.
    Hey Bonnie! If you want to change something. Fix that station bug in the corner. It used to be more translucent. Now, it is a solid white. [​IMG]

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Bonnie Hammer's a twerp. It's just that simple.

Of course, this just makes Sci-Fi like all sorts of other channels that started out filling a niche and have lost their identity trying to break out of that niche - TNN being the most obvious example, but MTV and VH-1 show less music, Comedy Central has Battlebots, ESPN having original movies.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, it's pretty funny with all the niche stations, eventually they all end up showing "Seinfeld" reruns and wrestling...

I'm guessing in Sci-Fi channels case it'll be "Third rock from the sun" reruns.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I can't stand watching TNN. With that horrible black bar and large station bug. But, that is a whole other issue.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I love it... they achieve success with a serious niche science fiction character study. So how do they interprete it? People must want non-scifi programming[​IMG]

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

7. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Sci-Fi also showed the Indiana Jones movies. Definitely fantasy, but hardly sci-fi.

9. Michael St. Clair

John Edwards. The Dream Team. I see the future of Sci-Fi, and it is cheap reality programming.

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yeah, it's a shame. I had such high hopes for the channel when it came on, but it's a pale shadow of itself now. I never watch it anymore. [​IMG]

11. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

What I wish is that there was some way we (I) could contact any given network for feedback. How can an industry make sweeping decisions like Bonnie does based solely on a few reality TV watchin' Nielsen families? what about the rest of us? Bah

Update to my post:

These are phone numbers where you can reach Scifi. The lady I talked to using the first number was quite friendly, sympathetic, in agreement, and was quite upset herself at the new logo. She said she has fielded many calls on the same subject and has forwarded them all up the chain.

One can only hope.

Viewer comment line: 212-413-5000
    Programming line: 212-413-5821
    Comments line: 212-413-5577

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I can't stand watching TNN. >>
    Agreed. It's only usefullness is the TNG marathons when there is ABSOLUTLEY nothing else on, and you don't have DVD Access. Besides, I thought they where trying to get away from the redneck mentality. So, why bother airing the Truck shows, the Hunting Shows.....etc.
    As far as the Bug goes. There's got to be something we can do to get rid of the bugs. Either that, or convince them that if the bugs or so important, AIR THEM DURING THE COMMERCIALS as well. Heh, I like the fact that every now and then the Weather Channel will forget to remove it's information bar during the commercials as well [​IMG].

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Bonnie Hammer was largely responible for the demise of Mystery Science Theater 3000. When she took over back around 1998, one of her first acts of business was to axe all shows that did not have a growing audience. Just 1 year earlier, Sci Fi had received praise from critics and fans for saving MST3K from extinction. Saving MST3K was one of the things that put Sci Fi on the map. She will always be pure evil to me.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Again, weather reports are what they used to be about. It's not a change for the better.

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

18. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>As long as they keep doing that and do the national weather reports (Weekly Planner, etc.) for a good portion of the day's time, I'm happy. >

Yeah, true. But when there is a severe Thunderstorm going on around you, and lightning at every angle, you don't want to see Storm stories, but an up to date radar.

Thank goodness we have Metro Traffic and Weather..

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer