What's new

Long Kiss Goodnight observations (1 Viewer)

seanJ

Agent
Agree that the Dolby Digital track on "The Long Kiss Goodnight" is a kicker. I also thought the full screen presentation one of the more satisfying of it`s kind, the compositions just seemed better than the widescreen version, even if that`s how Harlan intended it to be seen.

In fact, this is probably (from an audio/visual perspective)the most impressive of the first wave of dvd releases. New Line (unlike some studios) seemed to get it right first time.

Have to concur with Michael re the DTS LD, laser rules soundwise whether DD, PCM or DTS.

Regards

[email protected]

Screenwriter
compositions just seemed better than the widescreen version
No wonder, this is another Super35 movie projected at 2.35:1.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0116908/technical
I'm not a big fan of this combination because of the heavy cropping that goes on in the WS versions.
In these cases, I prefer the DVD be WS/FS flipper so I can watch either version.
I actually got the LotR (theatrical) trilogy in FS so I could see more of the sets, actors, and costumes.
Then I got the extended cuts in WS.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
This was the first movie I got on dvd back in 98'. I love this movie. Very underrated. Hadn't had the pleasure of listening to this in DTS, maybe in theaters.

Sure hope that New Line offers a new SE with DTS.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I just threw up in my mouth a little. ;)
Frank, PLEASE look at Carl's link to re-educate yourself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe he's referring to seeing more of the tops and bottoms of the Super 35 frame that you can't see in the widescreen version. Yes, I understand that 2.35 is what Peter Jackson intends the movie to be seen at (and obviously, you lose waht is intended to be seen on the sides of the frames) but you can see more of the top or bottom in shots in the full frame version that aren't visible in the widescreen version.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Sort of a guilty pleasure for me, but certainly a pleasure. I probably watch my DTS LD of this once a year.

"Chefs do that!"

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
A very under rated film, IMO. Sure, it could have used some work, but I love the setting of the film (the winter landscapes remind me of where I live, lol), and Samuel L. has some great lines also. Geena Davis isn't too bad, but the only problem I ever really had with the film was her "transition" wasn't as convincing as it could have been.

Still, its sort of a Bourne Identity meets Alias meets a bunch of other action films. But then again, it is certainly more entertaining than most films in its genre.

I have owned this for a while now, and hope that New Line revisits it someday with an SE.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
The Long Kiss Goodnight was one of the very first DVDs I picked up, way back in 1997 to be precise. I believe I grabbed it at Future Shop, who were actually stocking quite a selection even at that time.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
This movie started out very well, but by the end it devolved largely into stupidity. The movie appeared to start on a fairly serious note but reached a level of low farce when one of the characters was

tied to a chair in a motel room. An explosion occurred and said character was blown completely out of the room, chair and all, and flew through the motel's sign. Said character actually survives and even more amazingly was completely uninjured.

After that, I realized that I was watching a slapstick comedy rather than a serious action/thriller.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I always liked the concept of the film, unfortunatly, the execution sucks in many ways. Rennie Harlan was such a hack director. It has its moments, but as said, it devolves into stupidity.

Jason

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i always thought the movie was intentionally on the humorous side.
not laugh out loud funny but never any of it meant to be taken seriously.

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
I can't sit here and have people trash this film. Sure, it's tongue in cheek, and doesn't take itself at all seriously, but HELL, it's one damn good ride. Action-packed fun, Sam Jackson is goddamn priceless, and this is one movie which is a must for my annual Xmas movie viewing.

DwayneH

Stunt Coordinator
My son and me both love The Long Kiss Goodnight. It is one of our favorite movies and we watch it at least one time a year. The only thing I don't like about the dvd is the fact that it is not a special edition. It came out right before New Line started their special editions. There are several deleted scenes I would like to watch. You can see parts of them if you watch the trailer. I hope a special edition is planned but I have not seen anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks