What's new

Long John Silver (1954) starring Robert Newton - VCI special edition! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Amazingly, this was just released on the 27th!

Totally without any fanfare, it looks like VCI Entertainment released a new edition of the 1954 follow-up to Disney's 1950 version of Treasure Island: Long John Silver. The wonderful Robert Newton reprises his role as the title character.

Since it's public domain, it's only circulated in the form of murky pan & scan videos.

VCI's new edition has a new 2.55:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 (created from a rare 4-track magnetic mix print!), theatrical trailers and TV spots, biographies, and a restoration demo. It's only $9.99 on their website, too.

I've never seen it, but I love Treasure Island. Anyone have an opinion on this film? Perhaps a restoration expert could offer some information on this release? :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If this is derived from a print, it is apt to not be pretty.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the news, Patrick. I'm a big fan of Treasure Island as well, so looking forward to seeing this one again. It may not be "pretty", but it sure is entertaining. I'd rather buy this DVD than the latest and greatest HD transfer of a more recent release. It's all about content for me.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
US$9.50 is a bit too much for international postage, will this be sold at most popular DVD retailers, i.e. Amazon and DVDPacific?

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

I interpreted Patrick's message, and also the differently-worded description on VCI's site, as meaning the sound was taken from a 4-track source (the VCI site says "recording," not "print"), not that the film itself was transferred from a print. No mention of what it was transferred from in the site, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks