Long interconnects vs long speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Jul 16, 2002.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Which will give better results? Longer unbalanced interconnects or longer speaker wire? High end cables not applicable.

2. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Moving this question to Tweaking & Connections area.

3. John_W_Jr

John_W_Jr Stunt Coordinator

David,
    Here's the response that a Stereophile commentator got when he posed that exact same qustion to a panel of cable makers (and I can vouch, cause I was there): Cable guy #1 -short interconnects, long speaker cables; Cable guy #2 -long interconnects, short speaker cables; Ray Kimber (of Kimber Kable) -long interconnects...and long speaker cables!
    I believe that the electrical wisdom is that if your running un-shielded interconnects--keep 'em short because the signal is small and susceptible to noise. However, I myself run 20 feet of Kimber PBJ, a non-shielded, but braided (twisted) interconnect over to my amp with no problem. My speaker cables are 8 feet and are a bi-wire configuration.
    If your interconnect and speaker cables are composed of twisted wire, which helps to cancel and reject noise, you should be able to run whatever is most convenient for you. The speaker cables I use are way more expensive than the interconnects, so for me it made $ense to run longer interconnects...also, the amp looks kool sitting on the floor in between the speakers. [​IMG]
    Hope that long essay helped!

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I believe someone asked this exact question not too long ago. Have you tried searching the archives of the Tweaks/Connections forum?

5. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I would keep the interconnects short (1 or 2 meters) and the speaker cables long.

6. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

Here's a direct quote from cheksy's website (chesky.com)on the topic:

Learning Library
    Cables & Bi-Amping
    George Kaye

"Is it better to use long interconnects and short speaker wires or vice-versa? My experience has shown that under most conditions it is best to keep the power amplifiers close to the speakers so that speaker leads can be as short as possible. Adjust the interconnect length form your preamplifier to your power amplifier accordingly. The reason for this is that the amplifier needs an unrestricted path to the speaker in order to fully control the speaker motion. Speakers are motors and motors generate a back voltage." That voltage is what the amplifier senses with it's negative feedback loop to determine the instantaneous motion of the cones. Long leads with higher resistance and reactive components mask that information from the amplifier. The result is usually a loss of bass definition and control, smearing of the instruments in the soundfield and a veiling" of the sound.

The length of all wiring should be minimized for best performance. Most high-end preamplifiers can drive a 20-foot pair of interconnects easily, but excessively long interconnects load a preamplifier's output and can result in high frequency loss. Passive" preamplifiers are especially prone to this because they have no circuit that specifically drives long lines."

"It is better to use one long interconnect from the preamp to the amp and split the signal with a Y" splitter to both channels. This keeps the cable loading on the preamp to a minimum."

7. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

8. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

FYI, The last quote on there was about biamping. don't know why I stuck that one on there.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Lee - I appreciate the guy's pedigree, but the quote outside its original context seems to suggest throwing away one of the stereo channels to reduce cable loading on the preamp. No matter who says it, that is ludicrous.

Now as Hyun explains, the quote actually refers to bi-amping and reducing the total cable length by splitting at the far end: this is reasonable.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mark,

George would not ever suggest throwing away a channel! would be self-defeating no? The quote is from some other, unrelated area.

The question is really one of interconnect degradation versus speaker cable. On this, I believe George is right based on personal listening experiences and trying configurations in the recording studio. This does create problems for HT setups, however since you need long wires in places.

Another benefit from George here is that high end speaker cable is often more expensive than interconnect so you save money that way. Of course, you don't want to be too far away...