long distance phone cards

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Anybody have a recommendation for long distance (but still within the USA) for those phone cards? I bought one from a clerk's and a customer's recommedation for $10 from a company called UCN Diamond. No connection fee and it appears I have a little over 8 hours of phone time to use within 3 months. I called a good friend in Maine last night so I'll see. But does anybody have any good recommendations to others to research?

I'd like to drop my long distance and simply use these cards when I am at home. They seem to be pretty cheap...

Jay

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I use an AT&T card from Sams Club I think it works out to a little over 3 cents per minute.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The AT&T card from Sam's Club has been lowered to 2.9 cents per minute.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We have a AT&T card that we use when traveling -- for areas out of our cell phone coverage. Wal-Mart sells them, too (if you are not a Sam's Club member).

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Do they expire?

Don't have a Walmart near me nor am I a Sam's Club member. The one that I have has a 3 month expiration from first use.

I'll have to check out the ATT phone cards and how are they like, do they have a name to them or do I have to wander through att.com....

Jay

6. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Jay - I also use the AT&T card from Sam's Club. I'm not aware of any expiration date. There better not be, as I have at least 1,000 minutes left on my card.

I would definitely try to avoid a card with an expiration date, unless you are absolutely certain that you will use all your minutes before that date. Let's face it, having leftover minutes that you can't use increases the true cost per minute. I've not done a great deal of comparison shopping, but the card at Sam's seems to be a real bargain. However, I believe the same card costs more at Walmart than at Sam's, so it does make a difference where you buy it.

Happy calling!

Steve K.

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I also heartily recommend the Sam's club cards, I doubt you'll find a cheaper rate.

The one thing that annoys me about them, though, is that it sends a weird caller id signal... A lot of times when you use it, it will show up on other people's phones as Georgia, or Tennessee or something. Kind of irritating if the person you're trying to reach is screening their calls.

OK, I'm now ready for my lamest nitpick of the day award.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The Sam's Club cards do not expire. If ordered online, each call within the U.S. will cost $.0347 per minute. If you get a membership (cheapest costs $35) and the card with the most minutes (6000 minutes for $208.20), the cost will be $.040533333333333333333333333.....and so on per minute. Remember, Sam's Club cards NEVER expire. You could buy a cheaper card and then refill it, but the cost per minute may rise when refilling.

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...29062%3a-29090

That's because it's telling you the location of the AT&T switch (or whatever) you're using.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks everybody, sounds like the consensus is the ATT cards. I like the idea of the no expiration date...

Is this card different than the one you can search at ATT.COM, i looked at both the SAM's club website and the ATT website and they appear to be different. Is the Sam's Club card a Sam's Club special that is run over the ATT network? Do I have to be a Sam's Club member to buy the one online, I'm not nor is there really a Sam's club convienient to me. I put one in my cart and it doesn't seem to complain...

Jay

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The cards at ATT.com only go as low as 10 cents per minute. You must have a Sam's Club membership to order anything from their website. But, as I said, you could buy the card with 6000 minutes and the cost would be about 4.05 cents per minute, or buy a smaller amount and then refill your minutes, but I'm not sure if you get the same rate when you refill. I'm pretty sure you do, though.