Long Day's Journey Into Night

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I keep hearing about this play, usually followed by phrases like 'greatest play every written'. Has anybody ever seen a stage version? There's a Sidney Lumet screen adaptation out there, and I'd be very interested to see it after all the praise I've heard. Anybody seen it? How good/faithful a stage-screen conversion is it?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Paul,

This is a pretty late reply. I’ve seen this staged a number of times, although never at a big name theatre. It is not uncommon in the States for this play to be staged in regional or local theatres. The problem is that it is extremely difficult to present well, without first-rate actors in every part.

IMO, the play deserves every praise it has received. I’ve not seen the version to which you refer, and in fact have never seen this other than on the stage. I’m not opposed, its just not worked out that way.

3. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

Paul -- I'm a bit of a nut about this play -- I've got four versions on tape--2 commercial, 2 recorded off broadcast--and I've seen 3 live productions.
    Lumet's film version is 100% faithful to the play, although it has been mildly trimmed for length, just like most stage productions. The cast is uniformly great. All four actors (Katherine Hepburn, Ralph Richardson, Jason Robards and Dean Stockwell) do superb work. Hepburn was nominated for Best Actress, and Robards built his reputation on his role.
    It's not for everyone, of course. To quote one Amazon reviewer: "Be forewarned: this film is very long (three hours), very talky, and very, very bleak." If you know what you're in for, however, it's one of the most rewarding American masterworks. There's no DVD release yet, unfortunately.
    Also excellent is the recent Canadian film version made for public TV. Available thru www.pbs.org

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

So, Lew, do yourself a favor and rent the movie already! I can't believe someone who knows the play well has never seen the Lumet production! [​IMG]

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer