Long Cables

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeLA, Feb 28, 2006.

1. MikeLA

MikeLA Auditioning

I am in the process of remodeling 2 rooms in my basement, with one of them being a simple home theatre. I am planning on having all the equipment in a built in shelf behind the listening position. I am wondering how to get cables that are long enough to go from the receiver at the back of the room to the TV in the front of the room. Right now I plan on using S-Video, but I would also like to run a Component cable. I think I need about 30 or 40 feet, and I just can't find anything that long. Where do you get cables like this? Is there a way I can just run CAT5 cable and put an end on it or something?

Thanks, Mike

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.bluejeanscable.com can make you a cable any length you want. They are quality cables and prices are reasonable. IMO, the best component video cable I've ever used.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The custom cables are your best bet for runs that long.

Ignore the bogus products that say you can use Cat5 for speaker wire or video. Cat5 is only good for digital signals, not analog video or audio.

And try to forget about SVideo. Your main source of programming should be a progressive-scan DVD player or a HD Cable or Sat box. These will all use Component or DVI/HDMI cables.

4. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Get yourself a reciever that converts all signals to component, they are pretty common now. This way you will only have one set of component cables to run. or 2 if your tv will do PIP or POP with 2 component signals.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
  6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

We had a member here a few years back that sold small plugs that let you convert speaker wires, composite/svideo/component cables to Cat5 Jacks claiming it was "just as good". Turns out he worked for the company that distributes the adaptors.

The AudioControl system looks ... interesting. It basically does an analog->digital conversion to send the signals over Cat5, then a digital->analog conversion. You need to buy the converter box's - but it could work.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would go with John's suggestion.

I run Belden 30 feet (RGB) to my projector, picked it up at blue jeans and they're recommended. There are similar custom builders out there, but Blue jeans has some of the best pricing basically.