What's new

Lonesome Dove (1 Viewer)

Howard Knox

Auditioning
Have Lonesome Dove on DVD. Does anyone know if Return to Lonesome Dove has been released on DVD? Saw the last part of it last nite on TV & would like to have it if available.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Return to Lonesome Dove DVD is not available on R1 DVD, but Streets of Laredo and Dead Man's Walk are both out. I think there's even a boxset with all three.

Regards,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I was looking into the Lonesome Dove DVD, but I noticed that the running time listed is 24 minutes shorter than what IMDB indicates (360 min instead of 384 min).

Can anyone explain what's missing (I'm guessing opening/closing titles on each episode ? ) ?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe all four opening and closing credits sequences are intact, but I have not looked at it in a while and I may be mistaken. They may have deleted some recaps, but I doubt that would add up to 24 minutes. Amazon lists the DVD running time as 240 minutes which is definitely not true. DVD Planet lists the DVD run time as the full 384 minutes.

The only statement on the back of the DVD says: "Approximate Feature Running Time: 6 hours". I'm pretty sure it's complete

Regards,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
How's the video quality?

(Sorry, I should have asked that before)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It's a bit soft, pretty much like when it was broadcast. It looks like they did not go back to film elements to create all new masters like Artisan did with Twin Peaks or Paramount did with Star Trek. It looks like a late eighties broadcast master. This is a little bit disappointing, but the series is so durn good, I could not imagine not owning it.

Regards,

Craig

Second Unit
Video quality is just OK, it's watchable, but that's about it. The picture is very soft, not a lot of improvement from VHS to my eyes. I went ahead and bought it since it's one of those that I can't see being remastered/restored anytime soon. I'm referring to the original Lonesome Dove mini-series here, not the various sequels.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks, guys.

I've never seen this as I typically boycott stuff made for N. American TV. However, it seems there are some things I should be making exceptions for and this looks like one of them.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the first DVDs I ever reviewed for Apollo Guide and I loved this movie! (OK, it's a minseries, but still...) I never saw it on TV so I can't be positive, but I'm fairly certain that the DVD version is completely intact.
Even mild fans of "western flicks" should see Lonesome Dove. :)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am curious. I just picked this up cause it was like $8 at DDD. Anyway, I have the 6 hour 2 disc version by Artisan, and on the back it says "FULLSCREEN VERSION: Formatter from its original version to fit your screen".

Now, since this originally aired on TV, shouldnt its original aspect ratio be 1.33:1? Why would it be modified? Is there a widescreen version available somewhere? Or is Artisan just stupid and put this on there by mistake?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It was originally 1.33.:1, but I compared the original broadcast version I taped to this dvd, and was shocked at how much is cropped off the sides on the dvd. In fact, all four sides are cropped....and not just a little bit, but a lot. Besides that, all of the commercial breaks have been taken out, so instead of fading to black, some frames and music have been cut.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Thanks for the quick response, Scott. I can understand the editing for the commercials, but thats just plain weird that they cut stuff off all four sides. I havent watched it yet, but I would think that would make some of the shots looks cramped. Oh well, its only $8 and I havent seen this in years, so I am looking forward to seeing it...even if it is hacked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks