What's new

Lonesome Dove ever remastered? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I bought the original great TV miniseries Lonesome Dove on DVD back in 2000 and the image was so terrible I threw it away. Does anyone know if this miniseries was ever cleaned up or remastered for subsequent releases? I've seen it in stores with a more recent copyright date (2002?), but I won't dare pick it up unless I know they've cleaned it up. Any help here?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I believe this was shot on film but edited on analog tape. Remastering it would require going to the original negatives, conforming them to the EDLs if they haven't been already (assuming they can find them) and retyping credits. It's not just a simple matter of a new telecine job. It's amazing how short-sighted a lot of these companies were.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Actually, a remastered version aired on some cable channels last year (check imbd or google). I hope with Comanche Moon about to premiere next Sunday that we will see a remastered version of Dove sooner than later.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just wanted to know if anyone has bought this since 2002, and whether the image has been improved since the initial release.

With a prequel airing this month on CBS, you'd think there would be some sort of re-marketing campaign of the original or re-launch, but I've seen nothing.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Not sure if it's all good news. The report says the episodes will be presented in widescreen. "Lonesome Dove" was broadcast in 4:3 format, so this presentation sounds like it will be cropped from the original broadcast. That's a big thumbs down for anyone who cares about this classic.

The bright side? The article mentions a Simon Wincer commentary, so it looks like the director's on board. Perhaps he shot it "widescreen safe"?? Does anybody know?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
That's what I want to know; cropping can reduce the image by almost 50%!!!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just a heads up that this release is out today on SD and on Blu-ray. While my blu-ray copy is still in the mail, there are some screen shots out there and this is looking infinitely better than the original release.

According to the below link, the AR is 1:78, which according to IMDB is the orginal AR it was shot in. There definitely is more image on the sides than the original DVD or airing. Purists may gripe something is lost on top or bottom, but just look at these images in this thread and say that the wider version isn't better. I'm sold. And I can't wait to watch this again with this presentation.

Lonesome Dove re-mastered - Page 2 - AVS Forum

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ve_blu-ray.htm

PeaEye

Auditioning
Real Name
John
My blu-ray copy came yesterday and I was able to watch Parts 1 and 2.

I found it to be much better than expected and light years better than the older dvd that I own. Filled the screen nicely, didn't notice cropping, but haven't compared as A to B with the old.

The colors were rich, no washing out, sound was good too. I'm extremely happy and will be listing my old copy on eBay today! ;)

I'll give it a big thumbs up. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll qualify my post (my first here) with the fact that we have only had our HD LCD big screen and player for several weeks, so it still seems incredible compared to our old 27".

(Sony Blu Ray player, Onkyo Receiver, Sony Bravia 46", Bose Acoustimass Surround system)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks