What's new

lonely seeks same...(about movies) (1 Viewer)

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sitting here watching Pink Floyd - The Wall....my first dvd purchase in fact, albeit some time back.My question is: Is there a movie that better expresses this kind-of self-imposed isolation better? Call me wierd,but I enjoy watching movies,fictional or otherwise, that touch on these issues. I guess they make me feel better about my own self-imposed isolation....lol, actually I'm quite extroverted...thank-you.

If you havn't yet seen Twin Falls Idaho...do. One of the strangest movies since Boxing Helena, but incredible.

I don't want to give to much away, Twin Falls main subject matter is a set of siamese twins....

Anybody got any ideas?My girlfriend just cant understand.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Call me nuts, but Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer kinda touches on this theme. Well, maybe not self-imposed isolation, but isolation. I would also say Bad Lieutenant does a good job of watching someone push themselves into misery.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are tons of such movies, but it's hard to know whether you think you better touch upon isolation or not. Just some off the top of my head:

The Apartment

Citizen Kane

Father Goose

The Graduate

Lethal Weapon

M

Midnight Cowboy

Rosemary's Baby

probably none of that is what you're looking for, but it's all I could think of.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Best Self-Imposed Isolation film: Taxi Driver
Really, I love these kinds of films. Cause Im alone for nearly every hour of every day and I love to see that portrayed on screen.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Finally Donny and I are 100% in agreement with something. ;)
To me Taxi Driver surpasses The Wall for the study of this personality/lifestyle and probably does so even more realistically. TD is deeply layered and shows incredible character depth on repeat viewings (thanks in no small part to De Niro's greatest effort IMHO).
However, The Wall is a fantastic film and album, and the DVD is excellent.

Luc D

Second Unit
I think one of the best films to ever breach this subject would be Todd Haynes' incredible "Safe". Wow, I'm so glad I finally get to recommend this little known, but still extremely relevant and intelligent film starring Julianne Moore. I encourage all of you to check this film out if you haven't already.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Call me lowbrow and phillistine, but I find "The Fugitive" very cathartic in dealing with (self-imposed) isolation and solitude. There's little that I enjoy more than sitting back on a Sunday night (in my one-bedroom apartment), watching "The Fugitive", and drinking a manhattan. There's something about those flyover shots of Chicago's streets coupled with James Newton Howard's bluesy score that soothes the senses and the soul.

Hugh Scrivener

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Guys!!! Keep em' coming!!

Have no fear Luc, with the inclusion of Julianna Moore "SAFE" has shot to the top of the list. I watched "OTNEMOM(MOMENTO)" again last night...EXCELLENT!!! What is it with Guy Pierce...I loved "RAVENOUS" too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks