Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andy Sheets, May 1, 2003.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I was just looking at Animeigo's site and noticed that it says in big letters on the Lone Wolf and Cub page that the first dvd, Sword of Vengeance, is apparently out now. Anyone seen any reviews yet? Or better yet, does anyone already have it? [​IMG]

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I posted this yesterday but it quickly dropped out of sight on the board. I'm going to order it in the next couple of days, I'll post a review after I've watched it.

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

4. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Hi, are these supposed to be Region 1 DVDs? Because the title Sword of Vengeance is not coming up either at dvdpricesearch.com, dvdplanet.com or Netflix. I checked under Lone Wolf and Cub and Baby Cart too.

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I think I read its an Animego.com exclusive for a few months.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

AnimEigo doesn't solicit a disc till it goes to the factory, and why make the fans wait for the 2-3 month solicitation process?

7. Alex Prosak

I just ordered it, hopefully it will be here by the weekend. I can't wait to see this movie again, it's been a loooong time.

8. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Alex, please post your thoughts on the disc once you receive it. Thanks!

9. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Andy,

Thanks for the heads up. Got it in the mail yesterday. [​IMG]

Would've watched it last night but I rented Truth About Charlie and it put me to sleep. [​IMG]

Hopefully tonight I'll get to watch it. [​IMG]

10. Alex Prosak

Richard,

My copy came in today and I just finished watching it. This is the first time I've seen the movie in a very long time and I have to say that I still really enjoyed it.

I'm very glad Animiego took there time to get it right. The transfer is excellent for a movie this old. I've seen worse transfers on some recent movies. I can't wait for the rest of the series to make their way to market, I'm definitely getting in line.

The audio portion is as good as you can expect for a movie of this age and genre. While the disc is labelled Dolby Digital, obviously everything takes place right up front. I don't recall ever hearing anything in the surrounds. However, you have to keep pretty busy reading the subtitles which may have distracted me from other aspects of the film.

While I truly enjoyed the film. I don't feel it is a movie that I would recommend to others without really knowing their tastes, especially to women. Aside from the violence, which I don't think is too bad, there are a couple of other scenes that could really disturb some people. I'd have a much easier time recommending Zaitoichi to anyone. For true samurai movie fans, it's a must get.

11. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

The transfer is excellent. Animeigo did a top notch job presenting the film. It's not without a few flaws, but I was still amazed.

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I agree that aside from the opening few minutes (which was slightly grainy) this is an excellent transfer of a fantastic film.

For the uninitiated if you're a fan of Kurosawa's Yojimbo & Sanjuro & or the Zatoichi films this is highly recommended.

While I never advise blind buys I doubt this'll be available for rent at many places (on-line or B&M) so if you're one of the above you might what to take a chance.

No serious Samurai film collection would be complete without it. [​IMG]

13. Alex Prosak

So has anyone ordered Zaitoichi meets Yojimbo yet? If so, how is the transfer?

Two more days to LW&C II![​IMG]

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is $27 the lowest price we can expect in the future for these LW&C DVDs?

15. Alex Prosak

I think that they may go down after several months. I noticed on another website that Zatoichi meets Yojimbo is priced at $29.95 (but includes US shipping) while other previously released Zatoichi movies Are $19.95. At least I hope this will turn out to be true.

Also, LW&C II Baby Cart at the River Styx is available at Animego as of today. I'll definitely be ordering it but probably next week.

16. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter