What's new

Lone Ranger - S1 & S2 on 11/11/08! (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The Memphis Show is about a 500-mile drive for me, but I've managed to attend the past four years or so. Always great fun being able to meet and chat with the old-time movie/tv vets. Indeed, the theme to this past June's show was the "Lone Ranger" and "Superman" tv series.

As for this dvd-set, I certainly plan to get it, although I'll wait on a few reviews first, to verify its quality. I've become a bit wary of pre-ordering since that whole "Fugtive" s-2/p-1 fiasco. I do expect it, however, to be a top-notch presentation.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The more I think about this, the more excited I get. I'm buying it the day of release. I'll read the reviews after I own it. I'm a risk taker with the shows I love
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just thought I'd mention that this mega-set is up for pre-order at both Amazon.com and Deep Discount. Wish the starting point discount was a little deeper, but I'll probably still spring for this set once a certain 20% Off sale starts in November [keeping fingers crossed]. By my best estimates that will bring the set down to about $72 if nothing changes.

Gary "man, there are going to be an awful lot of things coming before the year is out - guess my buddy Dave Lambert was right to tell all of us vintage fans to get ready for a busy 4th quarter" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Gary.

I believe I'm going to wait until it is confirmed that these episodes are uncut and are restored before pulling the trigger on this. I'd also like some assurance that if sales are good that Classic Media intends to release the other 3 seasons and that this isn't some one shot deal meant to tie in with the 75th anniversary.

This is definitely shaping up to be an expensive Q4 after a relatively slow Q1-Q3. Our Gang Collection, Chan 4, 3 Stooges, Looney Tunes 6, and now the A&C set is mighty enticing even as a double dip.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have examined the set and sampled the transfers. This is simply a first class package all the way. The episodes I spot-checked looked sensational. Really nice transfers. Cleaned up well and they sound really good. As for being uncut, I believe they are. Some episodes are 11 minutes but that was typical back in the early days of TV as sponsors owned the slot and often ran serials, etc. The extras on this set are generous and right on target. You can't go wrong buying this in the $70-85 range. If you're a fan, it's the set for you.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm pleased to hear the transfers look good. That was my biggest concern, and I know it was other folks biggest concern as well. I ordered my using DD's 25% off sale, getting the set for only $61.45. With the extras this set boasts, it's a great, great buy!

Gary "can't wait to dive into this one" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Carab, for the early info! Did you really mean to post that some episodes are only 11 minutes? I've always understood this to be a half hour show although I recall (perhaps erroneously) sometimes 2 stories could be presented in that half hour. Were they originally aired in a 15 minute time slot and later combined for syndication?

One question if I may please ask: Does this set have English subtitles or closed captions?

Thanks,

Steve

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yikes! I missed that. As best I know, the show was never anything except a half hour long. If there are episodes that clock in at only 11 minutes then I'm at a loss. I taped every single episode off TV a few years ago and I never saw anything except the half hour shows.

Gary "that's really bizarre and I have no answer for it" O.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
These 11 minute short episodes must be typos on the box or info booklets being released on this. If not typos they are cut.

A poster at amazon listed the episode running times and if these are accurate there are only about a dozen episodes that approach being full-length. It's unclear if that poster actually has the set. Or where he got the times.

One episode "High Heels" that is listed with a runtime of 13:27 is 22:30 on the various Mill Creek Lone Ranger releases. I vote typos on the runtimes. (I hope.)

Uncut Lone Ranger should be about 25:30. The story portion, WITHOUT counting the Opening theme,bumpers,closing theme etc should be 23:30.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Some of the episodes are 11 minutes because that's the way the were produced. Sponsors filled the rest of the slot with ads and serials as TV was still trying to find its legs in 1949.

I'll check on the captions, etc.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I guess you are getting this information about 11 minute episodes from the extras on this set. But it is not true. They must be confusing early TV showings of the Lone Ranger movie serials. The TV show was an ABC 30 minute slotted show for all 221 episodes.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is confusing. The episodes I've seen have always been half an hour and Encore aired them in a half hour slot when they showed LR several years back.

I sent an e-mail to the LR Fan Website that broke the story about this release and he graciously responded with the update that it is not known at this time whether Classic Media will proceed with the other 3 seasons of this show.

I'm getting a very uneasy feeling that this release is going to be another "Little Rascals/Our Gang" fiasco were something that should have been very special was messed up. As Bob Gu said, the running times posted on Amazon (I copied below) show that most of these shows are edited.

Disc #1
1. Enter the Lone Ranger [25:42]
2. The Lone Ranger Fights On [25:43]
3. The Lone Ranger's Triumph [25:20]
4. Legion of Old Timers [22:11]
5. Rustler's Hideout [22:52]
6. War Horse [24:37]
Disc #2
1. Pete and Pedro [24:50]
2. The Renegades [25:24]
3. The Tenderfeet [22:36]
4. High Heels [13:27]
5. Six Gun's Legacy [25:26]
6. Return of the Convict [22:39]
7. Finders Keepers [22:38]
Disc #3
1. The Masked Rider [24:27]
2. Old Joe's Sister [25:34]
3. Cannonball McKay [22:34]
4. The Man Who Came Back [22:43]
5. Outlaw Town [22:44]
6. Greed for Gold [22:46]
Disc #4
1. Man of the House [22:55]
2. Barnaby Boggs, Esquire [23:09]
3. Sheep Thieves [22:55]
4. Jim Tyler's Past [11:40]
5. The Man With Two Faces [22:58]
6. Buried Treasure [22:59]
7. Troubled Water [22:52]
Disc #5
1. Gold Train [22:53]
2. Pay Dirt [22:49]
3. Billie the Great [22:45]
4. Never Say Die [22:47]
5. Gold Fever [22:51]
6. Death Trap [22:52]
Disc #6
1. A Matter of Courage [22:42]
2. Rifles and Renegades [22:45]
3. Bullets for Ballots [22:46]
4. The Black Hat [12:18]
5. Devil's Pass [22:49]
6. Spanish Gold [22:48]
7. Damsels in Distress [22:40]
Disc #7
1. Man Without a Gun [22:41]
2. Pardon for Curley [22:49]
3. Eye for an Eye [22:48]
4. Outlaw of the Plains [13:14]
5. White Man's Magic [22:42]
6. Trouble for Tonto [22:47]
7. Sheriff of Gunstock [22:44]
Disc #8
1. The Wrong Man [22:42]
2. The Beeler Gang [22:50]
3. The Star Witness [22:44]
4. The Black Widow [22:45]
5. The Whimsical Bandit [22:51]
6. Double Jeopardy [22:50]
Disc #9
1. Million Dollar Wallpaper [22:56]
2. Mission Bells [22:41]
3. Dead Man's Chest [22:46]
4. Outlaw's Revenge [22:46]
5. Danger Ahead [22:47]
6. Crime in Time [22:50]
Disc #10
1. Drink of Water [22:50]
2. Thieves' Money [22:50]
3. The Squire [22:49]
4. Masked Deputy [11:37]
5. Banker's Choice [22:48]
6. Desert Adventure [22:47]
7. Bad Medicine [22:46]
Disc #11
1. One Jump Ahead [22:47]
2. Lady Killer [22:48]
3. Paid in Full [22:45]
4. Letter of the Law [13:19]
5. The Silent Voice [25:12]
6. The Outcast [22:47]
7. Backtrail [22:48]
Disc #12
1. Behind the Law [22:48]
2. Trouble at Black Rock [22:49]
3. Two Gold Lockets [22:47]
4. The Hooded Men [22:41]
5. Friend in Need [22:40]
6. Mr. Trouble [22:45]
Disc #13
Extra Features.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

This pisses me off - we wait years for a quality release of THE LONE RANGER and we end up with edited garbage! I don't know about all you folks, but it makes me want to hold onto my old tv vhs recordings from the 1980s.

Once again another rights holder drops the ball on a release! But why should they care? I'm not holding my breath for the rest of the series in any form -edited or not - and it'll be a cold day in hell before we'll see the John Hart episodes - they avoid them like the plague - even WHT who's running the series (edited) stays away from those episodes until that HAVE to run them!

Don't even get ME started on the "Little Rascals" thing - or this ran will go on longer!

It's both extremes - they care and get every last detail and footage (Look at THAT GIRL!) or just don't give a flying rats arsae and release whats on hand!

Why support garbage in the hopes the 'next release' will be better?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

My initial thought is to agree with you, Bob. I don't believe those 5 episodes that are listed as coming in at only 13 to 11 minutes are really "short" episodes because of sponsor spots. I've taped this show off tv before and I certainly don't remember any episodes running short like that, so something is very fishy. I did order the set and once it arrives I'll check the episodes against the ones I've taped off WHT (which unfortunately are NOT complete episodes, but I will at least be able to answer the questions about these 5 "short" episodes).

I'm also disturbed, Steve, by the running times. Every episode, if it's uncut, should be running over 25 minutes. I sincerely hope the small company [Classic Media] didn't mess this thing up. It sounds like such a great set with plenty of wonderful extras. As I said, mine is pre-ordered and I will take the plunge and open it up when it arrives (meaning I will not be able to send it back for a full refund). But I just have to see for myself what's going on.

Gary "I'll try to keep this thread updated as I get any info on my end - I'm sure others will continue to do so as well" O.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Here's an idea: Why not wait until you actually get a report from someone who's seen the DVD, rather than getting up in arms without you knowing whether the amazon listing (by a customer) is correct or not. No reason to get all accusatory before you know the truth. If it transpires that the episodes are not what they should be, then get upset. If they are what they should be then you owe the company an apology for jumping all over them without having any concrete information as to what this DVD actually is. And didn't it come out this past Tuesday?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I have no reason to believe that the Amazon information is incorrect - and past history shows previous releases were also edited (i.e. - the set of the first 20 color season 5 shows,the 1990's Rhino VHS/Laserdisc releases,etc.)

I owe an appology to no one. I'm not about to spend my hard earned money on an edited set - no matter how nicely packaged it comes.

David Com

Agent
Just got the set today and have some insight. Initially, I confirmed the short run times listed, but only because I was scanning the episodes! When I hit those marks, the image went into some weird fast forward mode and jumped to the end of the episode, but the time counter did not jump forward. If I went back and watched without scanning, the episode played fine and was complete. Well, sort of.

Most of the 22 to 23 minute shorter run times listed are due to time compression. So, you get a full episode, but with jumpy frames and warbly sound. But the episodes that have fuller run times, closer to 25 minutes, have really pleasing picture and look better than I've seen in years.

The packaging is beautiful though, with replicas of old fan club collectibles, etc. So, a mixed bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks