1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lone Pine Film Festival 2019

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Andrew M, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    3 more filmed in and around Lone Pine. In 1966, Bonanza aired a 2-part program "The Pursued" directed by William Witney. Pa Cartwright was down to just 2 sons by then, Hoss and Little Joe. "The Pursued" had an excellent guest cast of Eric Fleming, Dina Merrill, and Lois Nettleton. Great use of the Alabama Hills by Witney added tension to a tale of religious bigotry and persecution. Fool's Gold (renamed Man from Butte for a re-issue) had Hoppy out of his usual black attire and in disguise in a den of thieves. And Masked Raiders with Tom Holt had an excellent supporting cast including Marjorie Lord, Clayton Moore, Tom Tyler, and a personal favorite character actor, Houseley Stevenson.
    Bonanza 1966 TV Poster. Fool's Gold (the Man from Butte). Masked Raiders.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    The Lone Pine Film Festival ended on Sunday. Crossed Death Valley to Las Vegas today. Headed home to San Francisco tomorrow. I'll be posting about the Film Festival later in the week.

3. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Looking forward to your report, Andrew!

RBailey likes this.
  4. Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    Still gathering up our schedules, etc. from the Festival. Last night we watched Gun Smugglers, one of the 12 movies starring Tim Holt that were filmed in Lone Pine.
    Gun Smugglers Poster.

Jeff Flugel and RBailey like this.
  5. Message #25 of 28 Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    Re-watched High Sierra last night. Locations include the town of Lone Pine and the Whitney Portal Road. My contemporary photo shows the road today. The Whitney Portal Road is also used in The Long Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and The King of the Khyber Rifles with Tyrone Power. I like the Italian poster which translates as "A Bullet For Roy."
    High Sierra Poster. High Sierra Poster #2. High Sierra Poster #3 Italian. i058585. DSC01104. Highsierra4.

Jeff Flugel and dpippel like this.
  6. Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    Still editing photos, etc. from the Lone Pine Film Festival. We watched Barbary Coast Gent last week. Wallace Beery's good badman character was loosely based on legendary stagecoach robber "Black Bart" who left poetry behind after his holdups. The title lobby card shows a holdup in the Alabama Hills.
    Barbary Coast Gent Poster. Barbary Coast Gent Title Lobby Card.

dpippel likes this.
  7. Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    We watched Somewhere in Sonora (1933) last night. My partner commented on how young (26 years old) and handsome John Wayne appeared. Australian J. P. McGowan (a veteran of the Second Boer War) played the suave murderous villain, Monte Black. Henry B. Walthall, who had starred in D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation (1915), was billed third after Wayne's horse "Duke."

Somewhere in Sonora Poster. Somewhere in Sonora Poster #2. Somewhere in Sonora Lobby Card #1.

dpippel likes this.
  8. Message #28 of 28 Nov 18, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    Andrew M

Andrew M Second Unit

Andrew Melomet
    Okay, looks like I've got my act together and I can finally start posting about the 30th Lone Pine Film Festival. On our previous visit in July, my partner Jane and I drove from San Francisco. It was a long drive so we decided that for the Film Festival we would fly into Las Vegas, rent an AWD vehicle and drive across Death Valley to Lone Pine. And we did; flying out on Wednesday the 9th, the day before the official start of the Film Festival. Leaving Las Vegas we drove north on 95 up to Beatty and across the desert on 374 to 190 to 136 to 395 into Lone Pine. We stocked up on breakfast and lunch foodstuffs at the Lone Pine Market on South Main Street. With the first screenings at 7:30 AM we planned on eating breakfast in our room at the Mt. Whitney Motel which had a fridge and microwave. With limited time for lunch, our sandwiches, fruit and snacks were essential. Fortunately, we always had time for dinner out. That night we ate at the Totem Café where movie stars and crews ate in years past. The walls are adorned with movie stills and authentic autographs of the stars. The photos are of Death Valley (off of Route 374), and Father Crowley Vista Point aka Star Wars Canyon.
    Death Valley#12. Star Wars Canyon #7.
    The next day we did some exploring of sites we had missed in July. We went to Diaz Lake, south of Lone Pine. Diaz Lake was created by the great 1872 earthquake that flattened Lone Pine. This quake was similar in size to the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. In October, the lake was nearly deserted with a strong breeze blowing. Instead of tailgating we ate lunch inside the car. Afterwards we drove to the Olancha Dunes frequently used for desert scenes when the movies were shooting in Lone Pine. With closeups, overhead crane shots or silhouetting against the sky you'd never know the East Sierras are right there too. We ran into a geology class from Pomona taking a field trip and listened in on the professor's lecture before hiking the dunes. On our way back to our motel we revisited the Southern Inyo Museum on Bush Street, the former Whitney Portal Road used in High Sierra. Jane has a degree in Zoology and especially liked the "Bug Room," the small natural history collection on display created by Lee Gonzales . I spent time talking with the local historian, Marlene Cierniak who remembered us from our previous visit in July. The photos show Diaz Lake, the Olancha Dunes and the Southern Inyo Museum (small building with yellow sign on right side of the street).
    Diaz Lake #1. Diaz Lake #2. Olancha Dunes #12. Olancha Dunes #10. Olancha Dunes Selfie#2. DSC01102.
    We picked up our tickets and took pictures along the mural outside the Museum of Western Film History.
    IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0922.JPG

That night, Thursday, was the opening reception, a previously announced but somewhat impromptu costume contest and the first screening of the festival, Bill Tilghman and the Outlaws. The reception was held outdoors in the parking lot of the Museum of Western Film History. Plenty of good food and beverages and the opportunity to meet some of our fellow attendees. Jane had put together her own costume and assumed the role of the unknown film star Juanita Perdita, star of the lost Western classic, La Vida Loca. Unfortunately, she didn't win. Darby Hinton presented that night's feature. He portrayed the outlaw Cole Younger. Hinton is well-known in Western TV circles as Israel Boone, the son of Daniel Boone played by Fess Parker. Hinton appeared in 110 episodes of the show.

Juanita Perdita. Costume Contest. Bill Tilghman and the Outlaws poster.

Bert Greene and dpippel like this.