London unveils human exhibit at zoo

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Aug 26, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

2. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Hmmm, I wonder if there will be any butt sniffing or dry humping going on during the exhibit??? Ha!

3. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

No.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This is odd for a zoo, cause it really strikes one as an attempt to show the zoo environment as being exploitive. Plus the whole thing is way to staged - attractive people only, wearing loincloths. If you want to show what humans would look like in a zoo exhibit (e.g., run by aliens), then you need to put in a mixture of people, all naked. :shudder: [​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

Yeah, it's obviously a 'publicity stunt' and that's fine, but this part made me groan: Yeah, it does seem a bit "Reality Show" based (i.e. NOT REAL or useful [​IMG])

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> attractive people only, wearing loincloths.

That's the only way to do it. There are plenty of ugly people around if you want to see some.

A museum here has dead bodies on display- what do you think of that?

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

8. MarkHastings

But that has definite educational value to it. To see a human body with all it's muscles in plain view. While it also has the "PT Barnum" aspect to it, there is a scientific aspect as well.

I don't see what this zoo idea offers, other than 'side show' exhibit.

9. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

As long as the people in the UK zoo exhibit volunteered for it, I don't see what's wrong with it. It's not necessarily educational, but it's not like people are on display against their consent.

As for the German one, it seems to me that the idea that a festival at a zoo means people are being equated with the animals is what is wrong. Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park, which has a lot of animals on display & might be considered a type of zoo, has African culture on display in part of the park, including live music. Is that racist? Would it be better if they fired all the African musicians & brought in the Osmonds, so as not to be offensive?

10. MarkHastings

I don't think it's wrong, I just think it's a bit "pointless" - It seems like they could have done something better (or at least more educational) with it.

Again, it just screams "Zoo trying to get into the Reality Show" thing, to me, which always draws a big ol' [​IMG] IMO.
    [​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

To answer Mark's query - the UK has several public holidays throughout the year (far fewer than the rest of Europe, incidentally [​IMG] ), on which day government institutions and banks [hence the name] are closed. Some of these holidays are for key events in the Christian calender (Christmas, Easter, Whitsun). The others were often originally commemmorating events that we no longer celebrate (e.g. Empire Day) - over time we dropped the reason but kept the holiday.

August Bank Holiday (on 29th this year, for those interested) is always on a Monday and was, as far as I'm aware, simply a kind-hearted gesture by a government in the distant past to give people a long weekend in what is usually the hottest month in the UK. When the holiday was first introduced, there was often very few holidays (e.g. until the late 1940s, a week's holiday *unpaid* was considered a reasonable part of a job contract) and this was often the sole summer holiday many people got.

Of course, today things are different, but August Bank Holiday Monday (no-one has ever thought of a shorter name for it) is seen as the last chance for hedonism before the nights draw in and we settle for several months of bleak miserable weather. It's certainly the busiest weekend of the year on Brit roads and for people going on holiday. Last night we had the annual news items on where the traffic jams were likely to be, interviews with members of the public queueing in airports ready to jet off to (inevitably) Ibiza or similar.

12. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I hd to take exception to this line:

It pretty much turned me off to what otherwise was a minor curiosity.

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Owing to the thermodynamics of the atmosphere, August is the hottest month everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. It's above 100 degrees Fahrenheit [roughly 40 Centigrade] in the afternoons, here. It's the same phenomenon which causes the temperature between 2 and 6 PM to be higher than that between 10 AM and 2 PM.

14. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> It's the same phenomenon which causes the temperature between 2 and 6 PM to be higher than that between 10 AM and 2 PM.

Isn't it hotter in the afternoon because the sun has been out longer, so the air has had more time to heat up? It's the same reason the coolest part of the day is usually right before dawn, rather than midnight.

15. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Precisely. Insolation [the heat energy absorbed from solar radiation] varies diurnally and annually, and in both cases we see that the thermal capacity of the atmosphere causes the air temperature to lag.
    In general, the air absorbs heat during the day and releases it during the night, radiating to space -- the effective temperature of space is very cold when the sun is not included, and very hot when it is. Insolation reaches a maximum at noon and then begins to decline, but the air cannot lose heat rapidly enough to make up for the remaining insolation until late in the evening. Then it loses heat steadily all night, only to begin heating again around dawn.
    Now, since the insolation at a particular location on the Earth's surface during the summer is greater than during the winter, heat is accumulated more rapidly than it can be radiated well past the Summer Solstice, in fact until some time in late August or early September at most Northern latitudes: the effect is more pronounced farther from the Equator, where the annual variation of day length is greater, but those regions also recieve less total insolation and so cool down more rapidly than lower latitudes.
    The best way to track this kind of change is by the night-time lows, rather than the daytime highs, for reasons which should appear from the above.

16. MarkHastings

which would be fine if it was based on that, but these people are acting like monkeys and leopards. Unless there's something about the UK that we (in the US) never learned about in school? [​IMG]

17. andrew markworthy

This is the whole purpose of cricket, warm beer and British catering. It's to deter you guys from hanging around and finding out what really is going on. [​IMG]

Good job you guys didn't discover the bird man of Birmingham (man spends week in giant nest stuck high on the side of a building in Birmingham, our second biggest city).