What's new

London Subway blasts - are our HTF brethren ok ? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Agree 100%

My condolences and best wishes to our brothers across the pond. Hopefully all those injured will make speedy recoveries.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Scary!

Pictures from people on the street, and cellphone cams in particular, are starting to come out now.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was true of all of the 9/11 hijackers (or at least most of them).

M.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most entered legally, but were on expired visas at the time of 9/11, so technically they were in a gray area (i.e. illegal, but no one, especially INS, cares). They did have illegal driver's licenses, but those can be got by most aliens by legal means, so it really didn't matter.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is truly frustrating that with the heightened level of security that I am assuming was present in London because of the Scotland G8 summit, crap like this can still occur.

I am not worried about my safety or any such thing, and certainly don't buy into fear mongering. It is more the fact that these assholes are still out there striking at the very heart of their ennemies and scoring victories almost 4 years after 9/11 that is truly infuriating. It would have been nice if all the energy spent on fighting bizarre completely unrelated wars was focused on the relentless pursuit and destruction of Al Quaeda and their ilk (you know, the people who are actually a potent threat).

--
H

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Given the relative ease of access to mass transit, there really is no way to stop this kind of attack. One would have to ban all backpacks, bookbags, large purses, briefcases, etc (you get the idea). Riders would have to be searched and belongings inspected. Such a security effort would be expensive, difficult to maintain, and bring transportation to a crawl especially in a system has huge as London's.

Here is DC, there was a demand for the removal of trash cans from the Metro system because someone could hide a bomb in them. They were removed and now people complain about trash in the Metro. I just heard that we are in "Orange" for transit systems which means we will see armed guards on the Metro trains and platforms but that will be a just a temporary deterrant.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
(per Holadem's post) AMEN to that!But isn't all of this "Hightend Security" more to the fact that it raises everyone's 'awareness' and this is what is supposed to stop the attacks? In other words, it puts people 'on guard' toward suspicious activity and maybe they'll be more watchful with the guy who is trying to sneak a backback (suspiciously) onto a subway, rather than the days when we're all complacent and may not think that much about it.

So I really don't think any system is going to protect us 100%. They just do it to keep everyone "on the look out". That's the best we can hope for.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
It's become a cliché, but there is something to be said for the stiff upper lip. Tony Blair said it best; they do have a "dignity and quiet strength".

Did you watch the BBC? There were several men talking. One had lost an eye and was still covered in blood. Another was being treated for severe burns. And they were just calmly answering the reporter's questions, sounding very normal.

Sometimes people in shock can be incredibly calm...or the shock settles in later. But I don't think that's what is happening here with some of these people.

This picture says it all. Hours after the bombings, people are back on the streets. The only difference seems to be the headlines.

I'm very impressed with the stalwartness and overall attitude I've seen from the Brits today. That picture says a lot, starting with "SCREW YOU!" to the terrorists.

I also think it's very impressive that the world and local economies actually REBOUNDED today and are up a little bit!

I like it! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

A sobering thought indeed.

On another note: I was at my desk in midtown Manhattan on 9/11, and in our West End office in London today, and as people have noted - the atmosphere in London was a lot calmer. However, I feel that's understating it a little.

In London, we saw the all too familiar aftermath of terrorist bombings. In NYC, we watched live as two buildings collapsed, knowing that there were thousands still inside.

The two events are both tragic; loved ones have died. But the New York experience was particularly harrowing to me as a bystander. And perhaps that may explain the differing reactions of the population as a whole.

Richard

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
^^

Points well taken.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but 9-11 was still a lot bigger, nastier, and downright epic compared to what happened today. That doesn't take away any of the value of what happened today in London, but 9-11 was still far worse with a far larger death rate and cataclysmic events (entire buildings crashing, planes crashing, etc.)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. I don't think anyone (including the Brits) feels the numbness we did after 9/11. I think the thing is that: (1) everyone hoped that after the Spanish bombing we were beginning to get on top of things and (2) this was a different type of attack intended to paralyse the workings of an entire city - in many respects the deaths and injuries were collateral damage; and that is the truly frightening part.

One other thing, and I raise this purely as a cultural not a political point. The majority of Brits were and are against the Iraq conflict. So it follows that this bombing was directed against people who are opposed to the conflict (i.e. to that extent, agree with the terrorists aims of getting Brit troops out of Iraq). On top of that, if you bomb the centre of London you are almost certain to kill some non-Brits. So even by their own warped logic, the terrorists are aiming at the wrong target.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Why 9/11 and today may not compare in scale, they compare in horror and maliciousness. Whether you die alongside 3000 fellow humans, or by yourself, the end result is the same for you and your family.

Probably true, but the resilience is still worth noting and praising. They want us to reflect on our weakness. We want us to reflect on our strength.

My thoughts are still with those struck hardest by these events :frowning:

Take care,
Chuck

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
...in the US, several times over on the highways, in homes, on sidewalks, and in the parks. We're all far more likely to die at our own hands or by those of our fellow countrymen than anybody else. I'm not willing to lose my freedom or waste my time worrying because of a greater than 1 in a billion possibility.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
For all your days prepare,
And meet them ever alike:
When you are the anvil, bear-
When you are the hammer, strike.

E.Markham

So strange that my forebear’s wrestled with King George III for autonomy and yet the majority of families in America with our mutts blending of lineage’s, feel deeply rooted fondness, connection and affection towards the Nation which cousins much of our ancestral genes.

I am concerned to see the talk in the UK of the national identity card, we have had that discussion in America as well…..and I am firmly of position that this would only create a black market for forged cards, while further adding to the ever increasing burden of items that cost citizens personally in annual registrations, taxes, etc. The load is heavy enough without adding what would at best be a very flimsy tool, and a roaring hassle for legitimate citizens replacing and maintaining another daily legal requirement.

As BF said, when we start allowing fear to cause us to trade our freedoms for a little more safety, we do no longer deserve the freedoms we had priorly striven to hold.

- From my family to the British HTF members my deepest regrets that you bear another tragedy, we care deeply for your well being and safety

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I heard a story on NPR about a 95 year old British woman who was a Red Cross worker who walked to the local hospital to volunteer her services. She said something about being able to serve tea. Wow!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

Hardcore. And beautiful.

todd,
We have to veer it away from such a topic to keep this thread open. People have differing opinions on why the nuts did what they did.

But we do all agree they are nuts,
Chuck

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Deepest sympathies and sincere condoleances to all the famillies of the victims...
Very sad day around the world...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks