What's new

LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT restoration on TCM...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know I wasn't imagining this. Caught a quick glimpse of an announcement about TCM running a "restored LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT," which I had thought has irrevocably lost, and I think they said October 31. I did not have time to absorb this and have now gone to the TCM website, where a search for the title and look at the schedule brings up nothing. Has anyone else seen this and made a note of it? Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick,
It's scheduled to be shown on TCM on October, 31st @ 8:00 p.m. ET. Also, they say it's a restored version of a film believed lost at one time. Another Lon Chaney classic!

Crawdaddy

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I believe this is a "recreation" of the film via script, intertitles and still photos. If the film was truly found, I think there would have been an announcement about it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks, Robert. And, yes, Peter, I would imagine you are correct and that this is a reconstruction. Had a print of the film actually been located, there would have been quite a bit of brouhaha, akin to finding a 130-minute print of MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS. Worth a look, though.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Definately a reconstruction using stills and camera pans. TCM did this already to recreate lost scenes from the silent epic GREED. Should be interesting.

No footage form LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT has been found.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Knowing how well Greed's reconstruction was done, this ought to be pretty good. It'll only be 45 minutes long.

One word of warning...LAM has been said to be just a so-so movie...and this is coming from a silent film fan.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Oh I agree. Let's say they DID find a complete print..you just know it wouldn't live up to expectations. Still, it is legendary because of still pictures in magazines and horror film books and would be great fun to see.

StevenA

Second Unit
I was very excited there for a minute. :frowning:
The image of Lon Chaney's grin from this film is one of my favorite horror stills. I hope one day a print can indeed be found. The reconstruction should be interesting, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks