What's new

Lon Chaney Collection: Any reviews yet? (1 Viewer)

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Thanks for that Mark : looks like a great set and international buyers will be glad to know there is no RCE on this unlike Warner's 1933 Little Women (originally produced by RKO).

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
My copy arrived in the mail today (along with Looney Tunes: Golden Collection). It's going to take me a while to savor everything on these discs, but I'm chomping at the bit to get started. :emoji_thumbsup: What a fabulous end-of-year treat from the studio (to say nothing of the Humphrey Bogart titles hitting shelves next week).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My copy arrived in the mail today (along with Looney Tunes: Golden Collection).
Exactly the same duo arrived for me a couple of days ago; only had chance for a cursory look at The Lon Chaney Collection but it looks amazing (the restorations, I might add, are not Chaplin Collection standard, nor did I expect them to be), and the scores sound quite brilliant.

---
So many films, so little time...

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
... only had chance for a cursory look at The Lon Chaney Collection but it looks amazing (the restorations, I might add, are not Chaplin Collection standard, nor did I expect them to be) ....
Ah, so there's no PAL conversion ghosting/motion blur? Excellent news! ;)

I've seen two of the three (or four if you include London After Midnight) on TCM, so I have a fair idea what to expect -- which is to say, a fine product. I can't wait to get started on 'em. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

No, nothing as obvious as The Phantom of the Opera, or even as subtle as on the Chaplin discs that I could detect. I think you're on firm ground here!

---
So many films, so little time...

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I have the Chaney Collection, and it's quite stunning. There's no PAL conversion problem here. Nice, clean NTSC transfers, with LAUGH, CLOWN, LAUGH and THE UNKNOWN looking exceptionally good. Source material on ACE OF HEARTS is a bit worn, but not bad for a film that's 82 (!) years old...

Michael Blake's commentaries are amazing. His insights into Chaney's genius are often provocative and profound.

The most magical part of the collection is Kevin Brownlow's brilliant documentary. That alone is worth the price of the release.

Stunning. Another set of kudos to WB for a great release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks