What's new

Disney+ Loki (2021) (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Sure, just explain it as concisely as possible. ;)

It's the easiest excuse - I mean, answer. :cool:

Like I mentioned earlier, it's the "default" answer for any time there is a deviation and someone asks why the TVA don't show up. Because it's meant to happen, according to the TVA.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Just saw ep 2.

A slower episode but picks up towards the end. My guess is the variant Loki is not a female Loki (or Lady Loki), but another powerful character from the comics that I won't mention yet.

Among the many questions I have, are the variant Lokis (including the Hulk-like Loki) from post 2012? Given 2012 Loki seems to be unaware of them. Maybe the TVA has dealt with them and restored any damage from those variant Lokis to the proper flow of time, then 2012 Loki would be unaware.

But then the variant Loki they're chasing must be from a future timeline (since 2012 Loki doesn't know about her and the proper flow of time hasn't been restored completely), or else a character other than Loki (hence my guess above).

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Definitely more exposition heavy, and raises more questions, which will frustrate some who were already frustrated.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I didn’t mind the exposition since the dialogue is so well written and performed, but does the show have to be so dark? I get that they’re going for a dismal office building vibe, but nothing on the screen really grabs the viewer. I watched it on a 4K TV in a dark room with all but one light out and it was still too dark to see in places.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I didn’t mind the exposition since the dialogue is so well written and performed, but does the show have to be so dark? I get that they’re going for a dismal office building vibe, but nothing on the screen really grabs the viewer. I watched it on a 4K TV in a dark room with all but one light out and it was still too dark to see in places.
I had the same thought. There was a point I just gave up and figured if Marvel wants me to see something, they’ll make sure I can see it with some editing or appropriate lighting.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Variant's hiding spot in this episode was really clever, taking advantage of a shortcoming in the tracking models based on deterministic linear progression that the TVA uses to identify problems in the timeline.

A slower episode but picks up towards the end. My guess is the variant Loki is not a female Loki (or Lady Loki), but another powerful character from the comics that I won't mention yet.
I had a feeling a twist was coming in that area:
It didn't make sense to keep the Variant hidden under a hood or in sillouette if the Variant was just another Loki; we know what Loki looks. When revealed, she looked more like an Asgardian than a Loki.

Among the many questions I have, are the variant Lokis (including the Hulk-like Loki) from post 2012? Given 2012 Loki seems to be unaware of them. Maybe the TVA has dealt with them and restored any damage from those variant Lokis to the proper flow of time, then 2012 Loki would be unaware.
I believe they come from all over the timeline. The only one that hasn't been pruned is the 2012 Loki variant, however.

Definitely more exposition heavy, and raises more questions, which will frustrate some who were already frustrated.
Yes, if the first episode was about throwing Loki off-balance, this episode is about him finding his bearings and establishing a new equilibrium given his radically changed circumstances.

I also watched in on a 4K TV with HDR enabled, and I didn't have any issues. The only scenes that were too dark to see much of were intentional, like inside the renn faire tent. The TVA itself is supposed to be both unimaginably vast and bleakly bureaucratic.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just saw ep 2.

But then the variant Loki they're chasing must be from a future timeline (since 2012 Loki doesn't know about her and the proper flow of time hasn't been restored completely), or else a character other than Loki (hence my guess above).
If you want my theory...

Its Enchantress.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The "hiding-out-in-apocalypses" concept is just insanely creative and thematically perfect, exactly the kind of clever-yet-morbid trick you'd think Loki would pull. And the investigation scene where he figures it out? Great.

The gal with the decidedly-not-combat-appropriate long braids at the beginning was superb at fight choreography. So were all the variations of fem-Loki that they tossed out in the Wal-Mart-esque shopping center. And unlike the endless, bloodless pixelwar-nonsense we see in the MCU so often, this felt important, it felt visceral, because the characters mean something, the setting means something; we are invested.

(Also, the whole, "I literally watched you stab like 50 people in the back"/"Well, I won't do it anymore, it's gotten tired"-bit might now be my favorite bit of back-and-forth dialogue in the entire MCU.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It wasn’t too dark on my 85” DV Vizio. Looked great to my eyes.

Really enjoy the mystery these Marvel shows are are giving us.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If you want my theory...

Its Enchantress.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we see that character in Agents of SHIELD?

Yes, yes, I know, it's a murky area of continuity, but seeing as Lady Sif was in two episodes, and so was Nick Fury, the show is still part of the MCU as far as I am concerned.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we see that character in Agents of SHIELD?

Yes, yes, I know, it's a murky area of continuity, but seeing as Lady Sif was in two episodes, and so was Nick Fury, the show is still part of the MCU as far as I am concerned.

One interesting link to the comics (we'll see if Feige is going to go this route) is that in the current comics run of Captain Marvel, there's a future where Enchantress (Amora) is Namor's queen.

If Namor is someone Feige is looking to introduce to the MCU, then this could be a way of connecting the dots.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (and the rest of the pre-WandaVision MCU series for that matter) isn't canon period. Not murky at all.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
While we don't know who the real "villain" is yet, the female Loki variant is at least being positioned as the antagonist, for now. That would continue the pattern of female "villains" in the 3 Disney+ series so far (with Agatha from WandaVision and Karli or Power Broker from Falcon & the Winter Soldier).

Whether intentional or not (I lean towards the former), Feige is making good on his promise to diversify the roster of heroes and villains in the MCU, after the male-dominated 1st decade.

Good to see!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One interesting link to the comics (we'll see if Feige is going to go this route) is that in the current comics run of Captain Marvel, there's a future where Enchantress (Amora) is Namor's queen.

If Namor is someone Feige is looking to introduce to the MCU, then this could be a way of connecting the dots.

Well, about that...
Rumors have been around for a few years now and were repeated just last week that Marvel is looking to include Namor in the Black Panther sequel. He's coming.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (and the rest of the pre-WandaVision MCU series for that matter) isn't canon period. Not murky at all.
I beg to differ. Using Coulson, Nick Fury, Lady Sif and so on, plus having actual footage from The Winter Soldier incorporated into the show, makes it canon to me. Kevin Feige could issue a statement tomorrow saying it's not canon, and I will still insist it is.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Agents of Shield, I would say it is canon for 1st season, maybe 2nd, but then it separated from the theatrical features.

While it was nice to see what nuggets AoS offered with respect to the films (such as seeing the aftermath of Thor: The Dark World and CA: The Winter Soldier, plus the lead-in to Age of Ultron), I think it just seemed awkward after a while to have to provide connections when the films themselves basically ignored Coulson, et al. After all, some of the threats faced by the Agents could have probably used the assistance of an Avenger (or 3).

Anyway, that's my 2c. :cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks