Sean
So, in the stained glass... Mephisto?

1607830656520.png

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A little info on the TVA from the comics. So just an idea of what they may be adapting with this. Even though it is just comics history, I’ll spoilerize.

Overview
The Time Variance Authority is an infinitely vast bureaucracy that governs a significant number of realities in the ever growing multiverse.[2] Which has dedicated itself to keeping tabs on every reality that exists. It controls a temporal dominion which is approximately two or three times as large as Kang's temporal empire.[3] All employees are born and bred specifically to complete their functions. Every employee in the TVA has lifetime employment.[2] It is an organization of faceless bureaucrats.[4]Most TVA employees are cloned from the same genetic stalk to reduce disputes and improve efficiency. However, they do recruit new promising candidates such as Justice Peace.[5][2]

History
In the very distant future, the Time Variance Authority (or TVA) was formed with the goal of monitoring realities throughout the multiverse and attempting to keep temporal interference to a minimum.[6][7] Although the TVA claims responsibility and authority over the entire omniverse, they have continued territorial disputes with Kang the Conqueror and his Kang Dynasty, Alioth, Revelation, Congress of Realities, and the Delubric Consortium.[4][3][2]

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I feel like releasing something every week would be a little ambitious, even for Marvel. Plus, we don't even know that Black Widow will be able to maintain its current release date in theaters, so attempting to thread the series around that doesn't really make sense.

That being said, I'll be excited to watch this in June for sure.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I thought the trailer was excellent.

An adventure with Loki and Lightning McQueen as they try to right Loki's time disruptions? yes, please.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonally, it felt a lot like "Marvel's Legends of Tomorrow", which isn't a bad thing at all.

Definitely looks like we're going to get answers on how time travel works. I found this shot particularly intriguing:
Loki_002.jpg

It seems pretty clear that every time someone goes back into the past and makes a change, it sets that reality off on a different course. Some changes, like Hawkeye talking to his daughter, are inconsequential to the timeline. Others, like Loki running off with an Infinity Stone, are enormously consequential. The TVA seems to trying to get these divergent timelines back on track.

It's still unclear whether the TVA's time travel works like the Endgame time travel did, basically time hopping to various other realities, or if it can move back and forth within a single reality (presumably, the reality of the 2012 intrusion that this Loki was from). The answer to that question will likely inform whether or not (or to what extent) this show grapples with the multiverse.

I love the seventies aesthetic to the TVA headquarters, too, as if the Null-Time Zone was discovered and colonized by one of the realities back then and hasn't changed significantly since.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I love the seventies aesthetic to the TVA headquarters, too, as if the Null-Time Zone was discovered and colonized by one of the realities back then and hasn't changed significantly since.

I'm catching a bit of Noah Hawley's Legion production design. Love it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a bit of a long range thought, but I was wonder if they will change the release schedule for Loki a tiny bit. I know Disney+ traditionally likes to debut new episodes on Fridays and people are used to that.

We know it is launching on June 11. If the show is six episodes like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is, that would put its final episode on July 23.

That means it would have a new episode on July 9, which is the same day as Black Widow is launching both theatrically and, more importantly for this point, on Disney+ for the $30 Premier Access fee.

I know it is only one episode and all, but still. I think it would probably be more effective if the show did not drop a new episode at the same time as the movie, so that each of them can have their time to be the focus of the pop culture discussion without stepping on each other's toes. Also, I like to stay up until midnight to watch new things when they drop, but I really don't want to be up all night watching both Black Widow which is probably 2.5 hours or so and a new Loki which is likely to be +/- one hour. I'm happy to watch things at night, but if you pile stuff like that then I will be up literally all night. (Yes, I know that both will stay there and I don't have to watch at midnight, but I like to so that I can participate In the conversation quickly, not to mention avoid social media spoilers.)

What I would do would be either have the show drop two episodes on July 2 and take July 9 off so the attention can be on Black Widow. Or maybe just shift the Loki episode to earlier in the week of July 5 so that it doesn't come out on the exact same day as the movie. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday for the show would be good that week, and then there would be no conflict with going back to Fridays on July 16.

Does anyone remember if The Mandelorian premiered a new episode on the same day that The Rise of Skywalker was released? I don't watch that show so don't recall.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that week The Mandalorian was put up on Wednesday and Rise started on Thursday night/Friday. The next week, The Mandalorian was back to its usual Friday.

Aside from the timing (to avoid clashing on the same day) there was also a reason for that particular Mandalorian episode to drop early, since it showed a particular Force power that was then used in Rise of Skywalker.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It’s probably because they have the new Star Wars series, The Bad Batch, dropping on Fridays through August.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks