What's new

Lois and Clark possibly in 2005! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's the one drawback on getting TV/DVD sets; if you can't get to them soon it's too late to return them for a replacement. But I'm thinking that Amazon would honor an "after 3-day" exchange. Anyone out there tried returning a defective set after the 30-day period expired with success?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am enjoying this set so far, but am somewhat disappointed with the quality of the transfer. I see a marked difference in picture quality between the series pilot and the several episodes that follow it. The pilot looks like it was transferred directly from a film source and in general, the image is crisp and sharp, aside from a very few instances of dirt and scratches. The episodes that follow look to me like they were transferred from video (a 1" tape source perhaps?) Overall, the picture fluctuates from just okay to downright soft, and there is a noticeable lack of detail in the black-level throughout. The last time I saw this kind of anomaly was with the Doogie Howser set. Here again, I am suspecting that the digital transfer for that show was created from a tape source. If that indeed is the case, why do studios do this? Is it simply a case of the film masters being long gone?

If the show was mastered on tape (like many shows in the 80s and 90s were), they'll use this master tape because it would be too expensive to search for the original Panavision films and have them recut and everything to match the "old" versions of the episodes.

As the pilot was filmed like a big screen feature (they wanted to release it as a movie if it hadn't got picked up), it was probably mastered on film - while the episodes themselves were probably mastered on tape.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I just watched ep #2 in the set today after the pilot yestarday. This series is going to be hard to keep from "marathoning" on :D I'm not typically a TV/DVD marathon'er. I usually watch different series for variety (since I always have 9-10 series "watching in progress".

I did notice the transfer difference from the pilot from the 2nd ep but this series is in my all-timer list so I'll love it regardless :D

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I just got my set in the mail today from Amazon. Haven't looked at any of the episodes yet but mine came with a Bonus DVD inside featuring a Season 4 episode of Smallville that I just put in to check out. The Bonus DVD is in anamorphic 16:9 AR DD2.0 Surround. It's the episode that Lois Lane first appeared and found Clark naked in a field with amnesia (I think this is Crusade, the first episode of season 4).

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Gord...that's probably true....Seinfeld being far more popular than TAOS. I guess I'm in the minority there.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

That's too bad. Lane Smith was just in a TON of stuff. I first came to know him from "V - The Series". He was great on Lois and Clark.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
RIP Lane Smith he was my favorite Perry White, such an amazing actor and person, he will be forever missed :frowning:

Britton

Screenwriter
Wonderful actor. I'm sorry to hear about this. I also thought he was also great in From the Earth to the Moon and My Cousin Vinny.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Maybe a little premature, but does anyone know when the next season is scheduled to be released? If at all?

My fiance loves the show and she's watched the whole first season already and is dying for info on the second.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have been slowly making my way through this set and have to admit that I enjoy the later episodes more than the early ones. Since writers tend to become more familiar with characters as the season goes along, this probably comes as no surprise. I WAS pleasantly surprised, though, watching the disc 4 episode, "All Shook Up," the other night. About 5 minutes into the program, I had a strong sense of deja vu, and, sure enough, discovered that the episode is a "Lois & Clark-ified" remake of a classic 1953 TAS show entitled, "Panic In the Sky." Best of all, the L&C version includes a story credit for Jackson Gillis, who penned the original Panic In the Sky. Does anyone know if the Lois & Clark folks reinterpreted any other stories from the old Adventures Of Superman series or was this a one-shot?

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
From Superman Homepage:

July 19, 2005: “Lois & Clark” Season 2 DVD in Production
Superman fan Dave MacLean emailed in to report that he was at a Q&A session on July 17th where actress Denise Crosby was one of the guests.

Denise revealed that she was headed to do some commentary for the Season 2 DVD set of "Lois & Clark". Denise Crosby starred as Dr. Gretchen Kelly in the episode titled "The Phoenix".

No further details are available at this stage.

It's awesome that Warner is trying to crank out LnC releases pretty fast :D :emoji_thumbsup:

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Was the show aired uncut on TNT? I just got the season 1 set and started watching it today and checked running times compared to the TNT recordings of the pilot and 2nd episodes and the running times are the same except in the pilot there was a tiny bit of footage not in the TNT recording.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I'm going to have to closer examine the episodes then. I really hope that the DVDs are uncut. I always hate to find out after the fact. I looked around but didn't see any info saying they were cut on the DVD before I bought it.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
DVDs are uncut, I post at a few L&C message boards and it's been confirmed they're uncut by people who had the original ABC episodes on tape :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks