What's new

Lois and Clark possibly in 2005! (1 Viewer)

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Pavan. Whew!!!

Gord, the "complete" pilot that I'm referring to was shown in Europe and technically, it is what should have been shown here in the States. It begins with Lois in disguise as a man. That scene was never shown in the U.S. because ABC felt that the show should begin with Lois looking beautiful and glamorous rather than what was filmed. So that first scene was cut out and the U.S. version of the pilot begins with the next scene - the celebration of Lois cracking the case. Fans, however, will tell you that Lois in disguise as a man was exactly how the show should have started. It's the perfect statement on just what kind of reporter she is.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I'm in the US and have seen the pilot with Lois in disguise as a man, they did show that part in the US. I even had it on tape once ;)

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...I was aware that when they re-aired the pilot later in two parts, they put back some of the footage that had been edited out of the original airing, but I didn't know that the "Lois in disguise" scene had been put back.

Oh well, whatever. All that matters is that it's intact on the DVD.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Yeah I remember the Lois in disguise. I know I couldn't have imagined it, but it has been so long :frowning:

Yeah that's the important part, I want to see that again ;)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
For what it's worth: The pilot was released on video in the UK about 11 years ago, and the complete running time was 88 min. Taking PAL speed-up into account, that makes it approx. 92 min. in NTSC which is what the running time on the DVD is.

Chris

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Pavan I saw on your review that you didn't find any easter eggs, someone said they found one on disc 6:

if you hit the left cursor button on your remote after it's lined up with the "taking flight" option, a red bold "extra extra" pops up and gives an interview clip

:emoji_thumbsup:

Did anyone else pick this up yet? I absolutely HATE how the discs are arranged. They are 2 on a page, but the 2nd disc is about 1/4 of the way behind the other one! They are layered ontop of each other. So in order to get to disc 2, you would need to remove disc 1 then take out disc 2.. what a pain I'm not looking forward to this.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I got the set, the disc arrangement doesn't bother me too much, it actually helps me be more careful, cause I always have a tendency to rush :b

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I completely forgot how cheesy this show was! Lovin it! I about died when "Holding out for a Hero" played. Then how the rest of that scene played out with the infamous "How will they know it isn't you" plot hole of all the superman franchises. "Lois And Clark"'s explanation is the by far the best. "It won't be me" *followed by quick removal of glasses*. :D

Anyway, watching the pilot just rekindled my old teenage crush on Teri Hatcher.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I have my set coming... it shipped a few days ago... seems like it is taken forever to get here... mostly because I am anxious to see this set!

As for the packaging... yes it is a little aggrivating... but I can handle that... I do have a couple sets like this... but my fear (probably unfounded) is that eventually it would cause scratched discs.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Just be really careful with it. Push down on the thing in the middle, then get the disc out, that's how I've been doing it.

I've gotta exchange my set, the picture jumps in some scenes, but so far it's on every disc :frowning:

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Yeah... That is one thing I can say with past sets I gotten like this.. it has made me be a bit more careful removing the discs. but I still worry about if they move around on their hub... like in shipping or handling of the set... and God forbid if someone (Family in house only) borrows my set from me and accidently drops the whole set. of course stuff like that you have to worry about all dvds. :-p

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Gord, thanks for pointing out that the alternative would be double-sided discs. I much prefer having the single-sided ones.

One small complaint is that there are no chapter menus. The pilot, at the least, could have benefited from that.

I liked the commentary on the pilot and appreciated hearing the explanation of why they changed the music to "Holding Out for a Hero" in the pilot from "Sharp Dressed Man." When I first saw the pilot on ABC, I was quite surprised at the music change. I had seen the network presentation at a convention and that had "Sharp Dressed Man" on it. [On the DVDs here, it doesn't have it, presumably for the same reason the pilot doesn't.]

It definitely was a thrill to see the network presentation again as well as hearing the pilot commentary and then later yesterday, going to the second disc to see the third episode (which I always felt should have been the second episode aired).

Neil

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Perhaps AN alternative would be double-sided discs. THE BEST alternative is double-thinpacks.

I absolutely hate the 2-up packaging. There is no excuse for such a user-unfriendly design when there are already superior designs out there. Requiring the user to remove one disc to access another is asking for an eventual fumble, and damage to a disc. Who do they pay to think up these designs?

I have too many of these: Ten Commendments SCE, Pink Panther Film Collection, MI-5 Season 2, Lois & Clark Season 1, Scrubs Season 1. I'm sure I have others, but can't think of them at the moment.

I'm seriously going to start factoring packaging in to my purchasing decisions. Not that I would refuse to buy a show or movie I love released in this type of packaging - but if I was on the fence about a purchase, this would tip the balance toward not buying.

I can deal with gatefold packaging, difficult hubs, snappers... but these are the pits.

-Scott

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
That's unusual that Warner Home Video chose not to include the deleted scenes from the pilot on the set, though they were a part of the 2-part rerun of the pilot. From what I remember, there were a couple of additional scenes, mainly extensions of on-screen moments. One was an additional bit of dialog of Clark talking with Ma and Pa Kent about him holding out alright money-wise, and another was an additional snippet during Lois and Clark's Chinese dinner outing in which Lois tells Clark to join him on the story lead she's pursuing. Those bits I recall being in the 2-part rerun, because I'd videotaped it during the series' original run. Those additional bits would have been nice to have had on the set.

And I also recall a 3-minute behind-the-scenes segment shown after the premiere that showed a look at the filming of one of the flight scenes on a green screen, complete with before and after shots. Don't know if it's on the set or not, I've not had time to check it out yet.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone watched enough of this set yet to see if there are any cut eps included in the set? I got my set today. It'll be a while before I can get to this one.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I haven't watched much cause my set is defective. The picture jumps in every couple of scenes on every disc :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks