What's new

Logitech Unveils First Keyboard Designed For Your Computer, Smartphone and Tablet (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ligitechk480lead.jpg

Logitech Unveils First Keyboard Designed For Your Computer, Smartphone and Tablet
Type Across Three Devices – on Any Major Operating System – with the Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
NEWARK, Calif. — Sept. 3, 2014 — Today Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) unveiled the Logitech® Bluetooth® Multi-Device Keyboard K480, the first desk keyboard designed for use with up to three devices, regardless of computing platform. Now you can type a report on your computer and, with the flick of the Easy-Switch™ dial, respond to a message on your smartphone and type a tweet on your tablet. The universal keyboard can connect to three different Bluetooth wireless devices at once, whether you are using a Windows®, Mac® or Chrome OS™ computer, or an Android™ or iOS tablet or smartphone.

“Typing needs have evolved and consumers are computing and texting across multiple screens, often using two or three different operating systems,” said Charlotte Johs, global vice president of computer peripherals at Logitech. “The Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480 makes it simple for people to work, create or communicate quickly and comfortably, no matter what computing device or platform they are using.”

You can type in comfort on a full-size desk keyboard with a familiar layout and all the shortcut keys you use the most. The durable, integrated stand firmly holds your phone or tablet at just the right angle for you to read while you type. With a choice of two color schemes, the keyboard is designed to blend into your home decor without sacrificing style.
Pricing and Availability

The Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480 is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in September 2014, for a suggested retail price of $49.99. For more information, please visit www.logitech.com/news/K480 or our blog.

Available in Black and White as shown below...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$50?I paid more than that for the 400(w/dongle and 1 device)No brainer purchase.(But no track pad? Bummer, still buying it)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have seen this in person at a Logitech show.
Terrific gadget. Thinking about having Logitech send me one for review.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Pad 8.3 is a pain to type on. It uses different glass than the G3.Sad that it is easier to type on the smaller device...VZW has a case/keyboard(bluetooth link) for $100(I get a 14% discount on stuff and service, via my employer).I already bought a combi case(holds the Pad 5 ways), so just need the keyboard.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
Have seen this in person at a Logitech show.Terrific gadget. Thinking about having Logitech send me one for review.
Ron, if you needed a break, I'd be interested in doing a review of it. I've got a Logitech keyboard for my iPad and use it some. I'm curious about this new keyboard.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Interesting device. However, from my point of view, I see some issues...

First, the layout looks a bit cramped and it is missing a numeric keypad. I see a device like this staying at home (especially if the idea is that it is replacing my home computer's keyboard) so I would want it to be a standard, full size keyboard with a numeric keypad. Maybe they need two models, one a smaller size designed with portability in mind and a second larger stay at home model.

The selection switch being a dial seems like a miss. A more natural way to do it would be to have three dedicated keys so a simple touch could select the device you want. This would allow the user to treat the selection of the device no different than typing a letter a keyboard. Having to stop what you're typing and change the dial position seems clumsy.

What I would rather see is a USB bluetooth module that would plug in between my USB keyboard and the computer. The module would have buttons on it, one to pass the keyboard through to the computer, the other buttons to select the bluetooth devices. Hopefully the USB bus would provide enough power but battery powered would be okay if necessary. Such a device would have the added benefit of being able to use any keyboard you like.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While it's small compared to a full size computer keyboard, it looks big compared to an iPad keyboard. Those are really cramped. And while I agree about the number pad, it's not a market deal breaker. Consider Apple's default keyboard for its desktops:https://www.apple.com/keyboard/Regardless, this doesn't appeal to me for desktop use. But as a keyboard for my iPad, I'm interested to learn more.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are no "tablet keyboards" with numeric. So non issue.It has to have an analog switch like that to pair to three things at once. Any other form of switch...would not work.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
These are in stock now on Amazon* (happened in the last couple of days).Still liking the one you have Ron?*Apparently only in white(version I want)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaking of which...anybody want a K400 black...so I can buy the white one?Overkill I know...but the K400 and K480 are intended for different purposes.(And you know...why, o' why, couldn't Logitech merge the "remote" 400, which is the 915, with the 480...)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I was going to ask if this was really necessary with apple's continuity but then I noticed the thread was started before Apple's 9/9 event.

Carry on.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Got it today. No time to mess with it before I head to work.First impressions...Nicely weighted(heavier than the K400, which is bigger). The slot won't fit OtterBox cases(that I've seen). But that was mentioned many other places. My LG G3 fit with the case folded over. Use the G3 case with the round clock opening.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Typing with it now. Feels really good. Tabbing on the screen takes getting used to. Have to tap "right" to engage, then up and down work...as long as the screen is tabbed...like here on the forum.Pairing is straightforward...you can just do it three times. The weight of the keyboard keeps the iPad2 from lifting the front. The iPad2 is heavier than the S-GT and LG Pad. All three fit in the slot in the cases...I tried it with a Samsung Galaxy 3 in an Otter...too thick. Anyway...I like it. Much easier to use this than the taptic keyboards on the iPad2, S-GT and Pad 8.3...plus you get full screen.There is an android app to "create HID" if your tablet isn't already setup...(4.2.2 and newer don't need the app, but the app centralizes the options, instead of them being in 4 different places. Like the app has pairing in it...or you can just go to settings...)There is an Apple app...but the iPad2 on iOS8 didn't need it.And yes...all three tablets are currently paired. Just twist the rocker...and keep typing. As long as you are "paired" the onscreen keyboard stays invisible. But, if you are paired, and want the onscreen keyboard...simply task into and back out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks