What's new

Hardware Review Logitech Harmony Elite: Home Theater Forum Review (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Robert Crawford said:
In short, I need another remote and hub? Or can I just get another hub alone?

Robert,

As far as I know, each hub is independently paired to each remote. I bought a Logitech Keyboard Harmony Remote (it comes with it's own hub) which I wanted to add to my Ultimate setup to assist me in search entries, but couldn't do it. The Harmony iPhone / iPad app lists the "hubs", and you select which one you want.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My remote arrives today. Let the games begin. If I like this remote, I might buy another one for my bedroom HT.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Keep us posted
Will do, I already downloaded My Harmony application link you provided. How long does it take for the remote to be fully charged?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Robert!

I've been using Harmony remotes for years.

I last decided that I wanted the IR functionality as my HT cabinet has some doors which look nice closed (it's a WAF thing. I still worry about over-heating of gear, but...).

So, I got the Harmony Hub with the SmartControl remote. Everything is working fine...but I do miss the touchscreen functionality along with the help function, being able to select individual devices while toggling between devices and activities,favorite channels, etc.

So my question is...does anyone know if there is a fancier Harmony remote (only) I can buy which will incorporate with the hub I am already using (as a way to keep the expense down)?

THIS is the Harmony set-up I currently have in use.

In other words, I want to replace the simple remote tied to this hub with something that can do a bit more. Is that possible?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Without looking at Logitech's website, I don't think so.

Every smart remote comes with a hub. I don't think you can buy a remote without the hub, that is, if it is designed to work with the hub.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike,
I think this is what you want.
“Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony Ultimate One IR Remote with Customizable Touch Screen Control (915-000224) (Certified Refurbished): Home Audio & Theater”
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Customizable-915-000224-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00UZ7HTPW/ref=sr_1_14?s=aht&srs=2529810011&ie=UTF8&qid=1444261062&sr=1-14

My understanding was this trio of devices were all made to work together. I r commend you compare your hub model to that included with an Ultimate remote.
“Harmony Ultimate and Smart Hub review: Logitech outdoes itself with new remotes”
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/05/logitech-harmony-ultimate-smart-hub-review/

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
I'm having trouble with powering up my Oppo 103 with the Elite remote. Everything else works fine.

Try running an IR Blaster to it

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Try running an IR Blaster to it
I did so before posting the last time, but it still didn't work last night. This morning I started all over again with the configuration for the Oppo 103 and got it to work this time. Also, have my iPhone and iPad setup as well as most of my favorite stations. Will go back to the favorite stations to get all 50 stations.

I love it! I'm even thinking of ordering me a second one for upstairs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
True, but I'm sick of having to deal with 6-7 remotes at each HT setup. :)

The joy of the Harmony remote... :thumbsup:

They really are one of the most under-appreciated tools in the HT tool belt...except by those who have one!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike Frezon said:
The joy of the Harmony remote... :thumbsup:

They really are one of the most under-appreciated tools in the HT tool belt...except by those who have one!

Amen!

Best remotes out there. Generally, they JUST WORK!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
So I am really considering taking the plunge and giving the elite a try. My biggest concern is whether or not the hub will be able to reliably relay signals to my gear. Maybe you guys can provide insight as to whether or not you think this will work given my room geometry and gear placement.

I have an old Buffalo Electronics IR system installed that relies on IR blasters attached to everything and it has NEVER been as reliable as I would like. So the appeal of a much more robust IR repeater cannot be understated for me. :)

My gear is arranged in an AV rack/shelf that is recessed flush to the wall directly to the right of the seating:

As you can see from the picture, the rack goes flush to the top of the wall opening. The third shelf from the top is unoccupied and is one option I have for placing the hub. From what I've heard of the Logitech hub, it's pretty good at getting signals to items above or below the hub, but what do you think? I worry my rack is too small and cramped to provide room for bounces and reflections...

Even if it manages the gear in the rack, the projector may also be a challenge. It is located just barely behind the seating position, virtually straight out from the equipment rack. Has anyone tried the hub in a configuration resembling this?

Fallback options might include on top of the center channel or left front speakers, but then foot traffic and other obstructions might get in the way. Would the blaster even work from a distance of 15-20 feet in this case?

Chances are I will give it a try regardless and begrudgingly deal with the prospect of a return/exchange if need be, just curious to hear about your experiences with the hub.

Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Jason,

I have the hub right on the center of my rack and I still have to run IR blast extenders to some components.

My projector is to the side of the rack. Once in a great while, it does not receive the IR command the first time and I have to provoke it a second time.

So, it's hard to say.

However, you are in a good position to try and return it if need be. Amazon has a very good return policy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Hey! Careful there, buddy!

You're on a fixed income! :biggrin:
Well, to quote the late, great Jack Buck, I took his comment by heart "go crazy folks". Today, I setup my second Elite remote for my Bedroom HT setup and then setup this Harmony remote for my Computer HT setup. I think I'm done with remotes for the foreseeable future. :) A total of 19 remotes just got placed in storage.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I've had these remotes for about three weeks now. The best money I've spent on my HT in a long while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks