What's new

Logic 7...WOW!!! Its really that good!!! (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring on this. I have had my Lexicon DC-1 for a week or so and I have been rediscovering all my DVDs and CDs. I took the step up from an Onkyo 898. I am still waiting on my v4 upgrade kit to come it from my dealer so I will probably re-rediscover all my stuff again (According to Lexicon's Jim Ciardelli). I have been amazed at how much better everything sounds applying Logic 7. Finally today I watched The Eagles DTS DVD. Since I do not have DTS installed yet I used Logic 7 applied to the PCM track. All I can say is that it was much better than the DTS track. Now bear in mind I have listened to this disc probably over 20-30 times with my Onkyo. I am more familiar with this DVD than any of my others. I was waiting until I got DTS installed but I said what the heck. I am still amazed...IT SOUNDED BETTER!!!! The soundstage is much more coherant and yet all the necessary separation is there. And the Bass...oh the Bass!!! I cannot believe that the bass track is that much better. Please consider that my speaker configuration has not changed at all because I was using a NHT 7 speaker setup with the Onkyo. This has allowed me to do so many comparisons with DPL2 and there is no contest. Now I will say, if you are running a 5 speaker setup you will not see as much of a difference. But a Logic 7 soundfield when correctly produced cannot be touched. Anyway, I will not be needing to get that Outlaw 950 I am on the list for so that will be one more for the masses. I am proudly part of the Lexicon family, ever so humbly with a lowly DC-1.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Eric,

I am proudly part of the Lexicon family, ever so humbly with a lowly DC-1.
This is not true. The DC-1 paved the way for all future Lexicon products. From what I have been told, the DC-1 with Version 4 software kick some serious ass...... Also I have been told by Lexicon directly that the DC-1 combined with Version4 will yield similar sonics to the upper level Lexicons.....

Enjoy Logic7. I as well have tons of demo quality dvd's I need to rediscover.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Glad to hear about your findings with the Lex!

And the Bass...oh the Bass!!!
I personally have found on several different DTS systems that the bass on the PCM of HFO to be much stronger than that of the DTS, So this probably is not due to the Lex!

Wes

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Congrats! I am still amazed every day after a month with my MC1. Lowly DC1? Ha! The DC1 is probably the best value dollar for dollar of all the Lexicon prepros.

I can't believe I was a Lexicon/Logic7 naysayer for so long (sorry Will!). As I say my bedtime prayers tonight..

......I thank my real estate agent for letting me "settle" on an acoustically poor living room, otherwise I may have stuck with 2 channel and never ventured into 6axis, then DPL2, then Logic7...

......I thank the creators of SACD and DVD-Audio, if it were not for them, the demand for analog bypass and 5.1 inputs would not have existed to hasten the "obsolence" of my MC1 and make the price drop to $2100.....

......I thank the Outlaw/Rotel/Sherwood/Anthem's manufacturer's for launching/announcing new sub $3k prepros, to drive down demand and prices for used Lexicons, enabling Eric, Steven, JohnT, me, and others to dream about/afford these Lexicons.....

.....and lastly, oh Gods of Audio Supreme, let my neighbor complain this weekend....LOL!!!!

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

"I am still waiting on my v4 upgrade kit to come it from my dealer so I will probably re-rediscover all my stuff again (According to Lexicon's Jim Ciardelli)."

What version are you running now? If it is v3.x the step to v4 won't be all that big of a difference. If you are v2.x (or v1.x) you will notice a lot of nice sonic improvements in L7 as well as better control with the new remote. Running v4 you will have all the same processing as a v4 DC-2 or MC-1.

"I am proudly part of the Lexicon family, ever so humbly with a lowly DC-1. "

Welcome aboard!

The DC-1 isn't 'lowly' in any way shape or form. Consider that your DC-1 could have been built in 1995. It could be *seven* years old. Now think of how impressed with it you are. Lexicon didn't just hit a home run with the DC-1... they hit it so far out of the park I still don't think it has hit ground yet.

Have fun,

Shawn

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The fact that Lexicon can take an older unit, upgrade it's software, and catch up to the sonics of there newer models is ingenious. That's why Lexicon is Lexicon, and one of the reasons you pay more money for there gear. It's worth it IMHO.

Eric A

Second Unit
Shawn,

I am running version 2.1 and I will be going to version 4 so it should be a noticeable difference. My unit was manufactures in 12/97. I have checked with Lex and it does not have the newer dacs but as I have found out it doesn't matter because the DC-1 cannot support 24 bits anyway. As for the 20 bit A/D, I do not have any analog sources feeding into the unit that matter anyway. Thanks for all the congrats. Now if I can get my rear speaker setup tweaked I will be set.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky,
" can't believe I was a Lexicon/Logic7 naysayer for so long "
JOOC, what ended up making you decide to give the Lex. a try?
".....I thank the Outlaw/Rotel/Sherwood/Anthem's manufacturer's for launching/announcing new sub $3k prepros, to drive down demand and prices for used Lexicons"
Don't forget to add Lexicon themselves to that list. Their trade in programs are what get a lot of those processors back into the used market.
".....I thank the creators of SACD and DVD-Audio, if it were not for them, the demand for analog bypass..."
You may not know it but the DC-1,DC-1 and MC-1 actually has a 2 channel analog bypass in it already. See:
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc1/bypass.html
That box also has another use for DC-1 owners. If you use it backwards it seamlessly doubles the number of coax digital inputs.
Shawn

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I have a DC-1 as well and love it. Mine is version 2.1 and in the next couple months I want to upgrade to version 4. You guys know any place I can get the software/remote at a good price? Eric, how much you paying for the upgrade? (if you don't mind me asking).

Craig

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

"I am running version 2.1 and I will be going to version 4 so it should be a noticeable difference"

It will be, Logic 7 was definitly improved between those versions. The center steering gets smoother for example. Your crossover points will change from 80,100,120 to 40,80,120 and you will have Bass Enhance available.

Effect selection is *much* improved in v3/v4 software. Right now if you use the effect assignment function you currently need to load the actual effect for the mode you want to listen in. Each input format basically has a different mode for it. L7 is treated as a totally seperate mode from DD 5.1 L7 for example.

Starting with v3 the effect selection became much smarter. After the upgrade you just pick 'L7' and the Lex. will automatically load the correct version for whatever the input format is.

Basically... if you think it is good now just wait......

Shawn

Eric A

Second Unit
Craig,

I can give you the name of my dealer if you want to send me a private email. He is giving me a discount although not a considerable one. He actually pays around $850 for the upgrade then gets around a 50% discount for returning the daughter board. You can do the math on the cost to him and guess what you will be paying. He actually showed me the cost sheet from Lexicon. You could go to v.4 without DTS for under $300 but it would still cost $500 later if you decided to add DTS. I just bit the bullet and went for the DTS version. I do not use DTS very often but it will help resale value (although I would only sell it to upgrade to another Lex).

Randy G

Second Unit
I know this is gonna sound silly, but I think that if more pre-pro shoppers went to their local Lex dealer and sat down with the owner's manual for 15-20 minutes, they'd probably have a sudden urge to price dicker.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

Since you already have DTS the list price is $300 for the software upgrade and remote.

Shawn

Eric A

Second Unit
Thanks Shawn for adding that price.

Craig,

If you are still in v2.x I would definitely get v4. I have spoken with Lexicon on several occasions about the differences and they will not be subtle. If nothing else, the $300 will be worth the new remote and Bass Enhance features. Then all the upgrades in sound quality will be icing on the cake.

tommy_t

Grip
One thing to always keep in mind,
"Everyone(people) and thing(company) are always trying to best Logic7"
everytime a new prepro or format comes out,it`s alway compared,
and this has been going on for years,
and is STILL happening:D
Tommy.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Shawn,

I first got into multichannel music with 6axis, then I got the Onkyo 989 with DPL2 and one rear center. DPL2 is very good, but I thought 6axis had more active rears and was better for watching sports. One rear center (and later two) made a difference, even if it was matrixed most of the time. I thought, wow, what if both rear centers had discrete stereo signals! Logic 7 could do the trick. I thought this was the right time to try a Lexicon at the right price.....

That is a great way you devised to achieve 2 channel bypass. Just wondering, what if I used a stereo analog switcher? Hookup SACD analog out to Lexicon "Aux" input (set to 2 channel). Main L&R preamp outs to Switcher Input #1, and Zone2/Record-Out outs to Switcher Input #2. Switcher Outputs go straight to main amps. When I select "Aux" to receive the analog SACD/CD 2 channel signal, I choose Input #2 on the Switcher...now the main amps/speakers receive the record out signal.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky,

"Just wondering, what if I used a stereo analog switcher?"

Sure you could use a stereo switch box. Program the Lex. the same way except for the trigger.

That is basically what my box is too except that it is automatically switches for you so it will never be on the wrong input.

If you try this one *very* interesting test is to match the levels (use a multi-meter and a test disc) between the main out and the Zone 2 out. Be sure to disable all processing in the Lex (crossovers, tone controls, loudness...etc...etc as well as any L/R channel inbalances in calibration) and listen in straight 2 channel mode. Also manual set the analog input levels to just below clipping but don't leave them on automatic or they can throw off your level balancing.

Now by toggling between the two on the switch box you can compare the straight analog pass-thru against the same signal going through the A/D and D/A in the Lex.

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks