Logic 7 with rear center channel set up, WOW.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Usually I keep the rear center channel off unless it's a movie with EX/EX (Toy Story 2 etc.) and once in a while I try other movies in 5.1 and I am impressed by the soundfield. I tried it a couple of times with other satellite programming and never really focused on it. Well if you remember I did a post in reference to using the stereo surround of you t.v. and running Logic 7 or DPL II through it. Well I put in Godzilla vs. Destroyah, to me one the best Godzilla movies and set up the rear center channel. Well the accuracy of the sound pans in the rear was astonishing. There a scene with a night watchman and he looks towards the left back corner of the screen as he responding to a sound and of course logic 7 puts the sound to that left surround speaker.
    Well what astonished me was not just the music score during the movie in all channels, but those scenes that had fly overs with helicopters from the top of the screen as well as the Super X3 fly overs where correctly placed in the rear center channel. This not a DSP gimmick and I used to be a hardcore straight forward listener and believed that if it wasn't intended to be heard this way then why venture. I've changed that attitude last night. Use you rear center channel during DPL II and Logic 7, it really, really works.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

2. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The best way I can explain it is it does the same thing in 5.1 applications under DPL. It extracts the info and directs it to a center channel. In DPLII applications that's what your doing is creating stereo surrounds from information that would be directed from the front. I have to admit you have to turn up your surrounds a bit when using EX applications and the same should be done on Logic 7 and DPLII situations.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

4. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

May I ask what receiver/pre-amp/processor you're using? I have the Harman Kardon AVR-510 w/ Logic 7 and unfortunately it is a 5.1 receiver [​IMG]... the idea of 6.1 or 7.1 really sounds enticing at this point!