Logic 7 vs AC-3 RF Demodulator

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Nolan, Jan 8, 2003.

1. David Nolan

David Nolan Stunt Coordinator

i was planning on buying an ac-3 rf demodulator for my dolby digital encoded laserdiscs, but have been reading about how good logic 7 handles 2 channel, dolby surround and dpl 1 sources. so, would it sound better or just different to apply logic 7 to the stereo mixes rather than buying an rf demodulator? for an extreme example, say the phantom menace laserdisc? i am contemplating a harman kardon 520/525 or 8000 for my new receiver and this got me to thinking. i guess i may just have to try it and see. any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

david

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I own a HK 325 (and a 320 before it), and a Pioneer CLD505 LD player, plus the Yamaha RF demod, and a 7.1 setup. I'd heard a lot about the fact that Dolby Pro-Logic II sounded great on LD, especially with Lucas' blockbusters (Original Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies). And I'd have to say it really does sound great, with surrounds being engaged in ways that don't detract from the movie, or sound hokey.

Now to directly answer your question: As of yet, I haven't tried Logic7 on any of the 2.0 mixes of my AC-3 discs (like Independence Day, which is the showcase LD for AC-3 in my collection). I can say that Logic7 sounds pretty good on my SW Definitive Collection and Indiana Jones discs, all of which are Pro-Logic (original) encoded. But I don't know if I would say Logic7 is a drastic improvement over DPLII. I just wasn't getting much from the rear surrounds. Of course, I'm running analog, so someone who's using digital PCM might have something different to say. What models of LD player and receiver are you using now? It might help to know if you have DTS/PCM digital capabilites.

That's not to say the HK receivers and Logic7 aren't worth it, because they definitely are worth it for a lot reasons that you can see here and in professional reviews. I'd say audition the HKs if you can and see how both DPLII and Logic7 sound to you, using PCM if possible with 2.0 tracks.

BTW, I thought TPM was supposed to have a AC-3 track that sounded great?

EDIT: I read in another post that you plan to go with the 520 w/an old receiver, which is how I had my 320 running 7.1 as well. Make sure that you match the volume on the two receivers, otherwise the rear surrounds could be too loud or soft in relation to your other 5 speakers. Based on what you said in the other post, I would go with the 520. Then upgrade to the 525, if someone will buy the 520 off you in the next several months.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Logic7 on 2-channel LD sounds great, but there's still no substitute for a good DD 5.1 mix. They will definitely sound "different". As for which one is "better", that's a matter of personal preference.

M.

4. David Nolan

David Nolan Stunt Coordinator

that's kind of what i figured. so logic 7 on my 2 channel or pro-logic lds, but still need that demod for ac-3 discs to really sound great. at least the logic 7 will help make the time i wait while saving for a demod easier. thanks for both replies.

david